turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

semi vs. pump

Started by DirtNap647, March 12, 2012, 09:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

i was wondering if a pump shotgun or a semi shotgun will shoot better i have heard people say that a semi releases the gas making it shoot better wondering if there was any truth to that or why some pick one over the other

Gooserbat

I'm a pump man because I feel like if it jams I want to do it myself.  I know it probably wont if it's cleaned right, but that's  just the way I think.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

joker

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 13, 2012, 02:05:07 AM
I'm a pump man because I feel like if it jams I want to do it myself.  I know it probably wont if it's cleaned right, but that's  just the way I think.

That's an interesting statement. When I shoot sporting clays I take notice to gun problems. I have found that pumps jam much more often than semis. It is mainly due to shooter error and short pumping for a quick second shot. Anyway, I could never tell much difference in pattering between the two. The gas semi will kick less and have a little less velocity though.

Hooks' n' Beards'

I Think it depends on the Quality of the Gun whether its a Pump or an Auto,I Prefer Pumps over autos,I found the Stoeger p350 and the remington 870 Express Sm shurshot to be junk because of the Jamming issue and a Buddy owns a Stoeger 2000 and its junk,Buy Quality on any Gun and it will work,Buy a Browning Pump or Auto and Enjoy hunting.And i have found Auto's Jam more then my Bps,Which is the Best Shotgun you can buy for Turkey Huntin,IMO.

Gooserbat

Quote from: joker on March 13, 2012, 06:18:05 AM
Quote from: Gooserbat on March 13, 2012, 02:05:07 AM

That's an interesting statement. When I shoot sporting clays I take notice to gun problems. I have found that pumps jam much more often than semis. It is mainly due to shooter error and short pumping for a quick second shot. Anyway, I could never tell much difference in pattering between the two. The gas semi will kick less and have a little less velocity though.

That's exactly what I mean.  If I jam my pump gun then I'm the one at fault, it's not mechanical eror.  You can never take self out of an equassion.

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Longshanks

Semi..kicks less..shoots great..keep your fillings :funnyturkey:

GeorgeJR

I prefer Semi for the following reasons, but non is due to shot

Forend is solid when I grab the gun (no noise)
If I need a second shot I can stay on target faster (some are really good with pumps on doing this but semi's still have a edge)
I don't shoot a ton, the 1100 and 1187 are really easy to clean and care for and besides a breach bolt buffer shattering after 35 yrs on my 1100 I have had no issues in cycling or shooting in the field.

I used a 870 for several years and my first gun was a 20 gauge pump that all get the job done, but I would think any gas compensation would be minor on pattern.  I'll will watch to see if others have comments.

bushwhacker

Quote from: GrizzlyMan1980 on March 13, 2012, 10:26:17 AM
I Think it depends on the Quality of the Gun whether its a Pump or an Auto,I Prefer Pumps over autos,I found the Stoeger p350 and the remington 870 Express Sm shurshot to be junk because of the Jamming issue and a Buddy owns a Stoeger 2000 and its junk,Buy Quality on any Gun and it will work,Buy a Browning Pump or Auto and Enjoy hunting.And i have found Auto's Jam more then my Bps,Which is the Best Shotgun you can buy for Turkey Huntin,IMO.
That's exactly what this is, an opinion. It's funny to me that when anyone talks about the all time greatest pump shotgun, browning is never mentioned. It's the remington 870. They are tight, do not rattle, and I have never had one jam. How can it jam unless you short jack the empty and run the fresh round in behind it. Your browning will do this exact same thing. This is not a jam, it's called human error.

Hooks' n' Beards'

Quote from: bushwhacker on March 13, 2012, 01:33:08 PM
Quote from: GrizzlyMan1980 on March 13, 2012, 10:26:17 AM
That's exactly what this is, an opinion. It's funny to me that when anyone talks about the all time greatest pump shotgun, browning is never mentioned. It's the remington 870. They are tight, do not rattle, and I have never had one jam. How can it jam unless you short jack the empty and run the fresh round in behind it. Your browning will do this exact same thing. This is not a jam, it's called human error.
No Bud,It jammed on every 3.5' Shell i put through it,Every brand,Keep drinking your coolaid and i will keep drinking mine,You have no idea what you are talking about,The Remington jammed because it was built like crap.Its an Express model and you get what you pay for,My Browning does not jam on any shell i have put through it,Im not American and dont have to Kiss Remingtons Azz ,Sorry if i am being a little rough but i have owned plenty of guns in my lifetime and the Express line of guns are not as high quality as a Browning Bps,I am glad you love your express but dont ever think it wont jam,it will.Browning is Top Notch and Twice the Gun a 870 Express Is but if you like your Rem, good for ya.

worth612000

Doesn't matter which gun. When that tom walks in most will never notice the recoil :toothy12:

savduck

I prefer a semi over a pump. I think they kick less and they are more comfortable for me to shoot. When shooting a pump I feel like my arms are stretched out when holding the fore arm. With a semi the fore arm is longer so I can hold the gun a little closer.

For the record, Ive had Pump guns jamb way more than a semi.
Georgia Boy

bushwhacker

I'm not kissing anyone's hind end and never said that"your browning was junk", or that any other shotgun was junk. But you can't say that a particular brand is junk when you got a lemon. They come in all makes and models. Numbers prove that these firearms are not junk when they outsell every other make and model every year and have since they were put into production. Also I am american and every dollar I can keep in this country is staying here and not going to a japanese made browning. I'm sure they are fine guns, never have owned one and don't plan on it. I'll stick with my "junk" AMERICAN made remington and keep killing the AMERICAN wild turkey. Now have some Kool aid. :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

01Foreman400

I prefer a semi auto.  I like the smaller in diameter forend, no rattle, faster follow up shots, easier to clean (Benelli's) and weigh less.
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

rebelman

I sold my pump for an auto. Need I say more?

coyotetrpr

:icon_thumright:
Quote from: bushwhacker on March 13, 2012, 03:42:40 PM
I'm not kissing anyone's hind end and never said that"your browning was junk", or that any other shotgun was junk. But you can't say that a particular brand is junk when you got a lemon. They come in all makes and models. Numbers prove that these firearms are not junk when they outsell every other make and model every year and have since they were put into production. Also I am american and every dollar I can keep in this country is staying here and not going to a japanese made browning. I'm sure they are fine guns, never have owned one and don't plan on it. I'll stick with my "junk" AMERICAN made remington and keep killing the AMERICAN wild turkey. Now have some Kool aid. :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
:icon_thumright:
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.