OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Auto Turkey Gun

Started by rebelman, March 12, 2012, 11:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebelman

I'm ditching the pump for an auto loader. Not necessarily because of the need for multiple shots but that the auto takes out the bite of the recoil and it feels sturdier in my hands.

Which auto loader do ya'll suggest? Mossberg, Remington, Beretta, or Benelli. Money is no object. I want the best pattern a gun can throw and as little recoil as a 3.5" gun can have.

VAarrowslinger

I too thought the Auto would be less brutal but...I have an 870 SM, 2 835s and a 935 auto. I have no way to measure but I feel the recoil from the 935 as much and more than the others shooting the same loads.

fallsflight

Well, if you want an auto loader that truly reduces recoil, then I would take a good look at the Remington Versa Max.  I have not used it for turkey hunting and won't be as I use an 870 Shurshot for that, but I used my Versa Max all season for waterfowl hunting and it is a real joy to shoot.  I used mostly 3 inch magnum roads all season and it does what it was designed to do...reduce recoil and spit any shell you feed it right out.

reynolds243

well if recoil is a major part then remove benelli as the interia system reduces it more then a pump it does not reduce it as much as say a beretta or remington gas operated gun.

Beretta Extrema2 if money is no object or Remington VersaMax or Browning Silver would be my opinions.

however removing the recoil part the Benelli SBE2 would be my overall choice. Just personally a fan of the inertia system.

Reloader

I'd throw a Win SX3 in the mix.  The Inv+ throws a mean pattern.  I have the SX3 and SX2 and both seem more tame than my pumps, but all of them kick hard with heavy 3.5" loads.  I would not suggest a Benelli, to me they seem to kick as hard as a pump.

I would say that my 1187SM with surshot stock tames recoil better than the Browning, Winchester, and Benelli autos I've fired.

Another thing to consider is the stock type.  A stock with a pistol or thumbhole type grip seem to reduce felt recoil to me.  I feel it has to do with the recoil being absorbed by both your palm and shoulder instead of soley your shoulder. 

Recoil pads are also nice, the Sims pad is the best I've found for taming these beast.

joker

I love my Browning gold. Shoots exalent, handles recoil real well, and very reliable. The maxus is nice to, lighter but still handles recoil good.

mrclif

I got 21" benelli 12 gauge m2 and it is the hardest kicking son of a biscuit eater I've ever shot. Coming out of Winchester NWTF 1300 SS that everybody complains of recoil about it aint got nothing on this little nelli.
But it handles and carries like a dream.

jrseale82

Browning Maxus in bottomland.  I have an 835 and will probably never shoot it again because there is that much difference. 

n2deer

:z-guntootsmiley:

If I was buying one right now I would buy a sx3.

I like invector plus guns. And like it better than the silver.

swamppirate

Duty is the most sublime word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less.
Robert E. Lee

rebelman

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I like the Beretta Xtema 2 with Kick Off so far. I'm suprised no one has mentioned the 935. The 935 have shown the best patterns that I have seen so far.

Frank_T

I shoot an Sx3 for waterfowl with a steady diet of 3.5's. The recoil is much more tame than a lot of other autoloaders I have shot . An Sx2 is my turkey gun and I while you feel the thump patterning  3.5 turkey loads its easily  manageable. I'm a fan of the Winchester / Browning invector plus bores myself.

beagler

My dad shoots a Beretta Xtrema II and I shoot a Benelli SBE 2. Both are great guns. Shoulder both and purchase whatever feels better.
Never Misses

redleg06

Get the Extrema 2.

I've had the SBE 2 and a few other autos and it's been the most reliable of all of them. It's my favorite shotgun and this is from a man that's has way too many shotguns to choose from...

VAarrowslinger

The 935 shoots awesome patterns with Htl loads and an SSX .670 or carlsons .675 but it doesn't have much less recoil than my 870 SM or 835s