Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ok Pattern Pros tell me what you think...

Started by okiegobblers, March 09, 2012, 04:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okiegobblers

870 express with Remington Ventilator .655 choke. Using Win HV #6 3in. Shooting at 30 yds I got the pattern shown with about 100 hits in the circle. At 40 it dropped to half of that.
Also I'm using open sights and had to aim at the top of the head to get a decent spread. A majority of the holes are still on the lower

left side.

tyelper

dead bird for lead this is the same set up i use, but i shoot the winchester superx 3'' x1 7/8x 5

okiegobblers

Quote from: tyelper on March 09, 2012, 04:18:43 PM
dead bird for lead this is the same set up i use, but i shoot the winchester superx 3'' x1 7/8x 5

That's good to know. However, since most on here seem to be talking about the 40 yard shot, should I be trying something different to extend my range?

surehuntsalot

first thing you need to do is shoot at a big piece of paper to see where the densest part of the pattern is in reference to your poa
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

MS Hntr

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 09, 2012, 07:42:29 PM
first thing you need to do is shoot at a big piece of paper to see where the densest part of the pattern is in reference to your poa
X2. You need to shoot a bigger paper to get the full pattern. I have shot win hv 5 with a rem super full and a Hastings .660 and both gave killing patterns at 40 with an 11-87.

coyotetrpr

Quote from: okiegobblers on March 09, 2012, 06:34:07 PM

That's good to know. However, since most on here seem to be talking about the 40 yard shot, should I be trying something different to extend my range?
That depends on wether or not you are going to shoot at 40 yards.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

MERCing

That combo is working fine at 30 yds. Center the densest part and it looks ike it should be good even out to 35 yds .

okiegobblers

Thanks guys! I'm going to pattern on a poster board and see what it looks like.
I'm pretty sure that 30-35 yds will be the max range for this setup.

nyhunter

Quote from: okiegobblers on March 10, 2012, 12:11:09 PM
Thanks guys! I'm going to pattern on a poster board and see what it looks like.
I'm pretty sure that 30-35 yds will be the max range for this setup.

Deep clean it first then shoot it at 40, I think you'll be surprised. Is that a 10" circle? It looks small. If your numbers are still lower than you'd like try the Win.xx 3" #6's "red shell"

Javi

Longshanks

Quote from: okiegobblers on March 09, 2012, 06:34:07 PM

I think I might experiment some more..polish, deep clean. Try the 3/1 7/8 /6's and 3/2/6's in Winchester.

I'm turning 120-130 @ 40 with rem 870/kicks .655 with both of the loads I mentioned.

Run some Hevi 3/2/7's through there and you may be shocked :))