OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

PLEASE help me pick a turkey gun!

Started by joffutt1, March 09, 2012, 12:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one??

Benelli Supernova
6 (8.6%)
Browning BPS Hunter
19 (27.1%)
Rem. 870 SPS SM APG
45 (64.3%)

Total Members Voted: 68

joffutt1

Wow, really surprised that the Benelli is not getting any love.  Only 2 votes?  That was the one I originally in the lead...before this poll.

935deadbird

If you're not afraid of recoil like alot of "hunters" are nowadays. I have a mossberg 935 and I would gladly recommend one any day. It patterns great, hard shooting of course. I've had mine for 7yrs and killed lots of good birds with it. :turkey2:
"Another One Bites The Dust"

mdtkyhntr

I would go with the 870. Have owned 2 (won one) 835's and both had major issues right out of the box. They do throw great patterns but are cheaply made in my opinion.

glennz

Supernova+Jellyhead+Nitro Ammo is one of the best combos I have seen. 300 BB's in a 10" circle at 40yds. Extremely hard to beat. I have the turkey version with the 24" barrel and steady grip and it's the best setup I have used. I have a 870 Supermag and an 835 which worked well, but I really like the Benelli out of the 3. I'd say the best option is to let the gun pick you and try and shoot them before you buy.  :OGturkeyhead:

surehuntsalot

I would have to go with the 870 as my 1st choice
                                      the nova/super nova would be 2nd
   I would not own a Browning BPS
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gooserbat

I own two 870s and I love both of them.  I would pick the Browning second over the Beneli but all three are great choices.  All three have a variety of chokes available but over all it's easier to find after market parts for the 870.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

trackerbucky

I had an 835 for a long time and it worked fine, but I got a good deal on a BPS and I would never go back. For me it patterned better than the 835 and the quality is miles ahead of the 835. The point about aftermarket accessories for the 870 is a very good one.  If you're into tricking out your turkey gun then the 870 is the top consideration.  Personally I've see no reason to make any changes to my BPS.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

timberjack86

Tail Feathers

Nothing wrong with any of them. 
But if I were choosing, I'd go 870.  Tons of accessories, VERY proven reliability and I know it best.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Clay

When you say Benelli, are we talking Nova or SBE II?  I absolutely LOVE the SBE II and would put it above all others. 

Two things I don't like about the browning - the tang safety is hard to reach when you are stuck on a tree with the gun already to your shoulder.  I have to move my whole hand around to the top of the gun to hit the switch, and I don't like that much motion.  The other thing I don't like is the cut-out in the forearm.  It's needed to keep the loading port accessible when the action is open, but I find that it snags on my turkey vest constantly and is very annoying. 

That leaves me with either the 870 or the Nova (assuming that's the benelli you are talking about).  That's just a toss up so it would come down to which one shoulders better/feels better for you!  For me that would be the 870..

Perry296

I'd go which ever one is the lightest weight,because if your like me I walk several miles a day  if I'm hunting public lands and I will have to say I do use a 835 it does rattle like a bucket of rocks and it does kick like a mule and when it comes to camo finish it has done just as good as my SBE2 but I hunt hard and I consider my guns a tool just like a hammer and I don't care if a hammer has a few scratches on it lol

papabuzzard

I have 3 Remington 870s and have never had a problem.  I would recommend the tried and true - 870.       :icon_thumright:

30_06

Of the ones you listed I would go with the Browning, but if your open to another gun, take a look at the Ithaca 37 Turkeyslayer!

Hooks' n' Beards'

Anything but a Mossberg or Remington 870 Express,There low budget guns,Spend a decent amount and get yourself a Nice Gun like a Benneli or Browning or even a 870 Wingmaster.Lots to choose from then Mossberg or 870 Express which are Low Budget Shotguns.