OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opportunity to go to Georgia

Started by Spring_Woods, March 08, 2012, 10:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshb311

Quote from: Spring_Woods on March 13, 2012, 08:26:41 PM
Thanks gentlemen for the encouragement. I am about 70% sure I'm going as of right now. As long as I can get my loose ends tied at work by next Friday I should be able to go!

Yeah I noticed you can kill 3 down that way. I take that as a sign there are just too many turkeys and not enough hunters. I figure I can help with that.

Can anyone give me an idea how that land down in there lays? I'm just wondering what to expect. I'm from se Ohio so I'm not too worried about steep terrain...just curious.

Sent from my iPhone

I suggest you pack your thermacell and your deet. The skeeters aren't too super active yet, but if it warms up another few degrees, they will be. I've seen 'em bad enough that they could prolly tote off a small dog.  :laugh:

It depends on what part of Bacon County you're going to be hunting as to what type of terrain. There's mostly planted pines and fields. Some areas are hardwoods and there's also some creek bottoms and swampy areas scattered around the county. As Savduck mentioned, it's a lot of flatwoods around that way.

Spring_Woods

Quote from: joshb311 on March 13, 2012, 09:12:15 PM
Quote from: Spring_Woods on March 13, 2012, 08:26:41 PM
Thanks gentlemen for the encouragement. I am about 70% sure I'm going as of right now. As long as I can get my loose ends tied at work by next Friday I should be able to go!

Yeah I noticed you can kill 3 down that way. I take that as a sign there are just too many turkeys and not enough hunters. I figure I can help with that.

Can anyone give me an idea how that land down in there lays? I'm just wondering what to expect. I'm from se Ohio so I'm not too worried about steep terrain...just curious.

Sent from my iPhone

I suggest you pack your thermacell and your deet. The skeeters aren't too super active yet, but if it warms up another few degrees, they will be. I've seen 'em bad enough that they could prolly tote off a small dog.  :laugh:

It depends on what part of Bacon County you're going to be hunting as to what type of terrain. There's mostly planted pines and fields. Some areas are hardwoods and there's also some creek bottoms and swampy areas scattered around the county. As Savduck mentioned, it's a lot of flatwoods around that way.

Thank god!! It will be a relief to hunt some flat country for once. Sounds a lot like Ohio minus the hills. I can deal with pine forests. Sounds like a plan. Josh, as well as others, the advice has been overwhelming. Thank you.

Brad

Sent from my iPhone
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

savduck

one more word of advise......thats the COUNTRY. If you in a local diner and your offered Sweet Tea or Grits.....just say YES.

Them country boys are still tough on yankees. Refusing sweet tea or grits will cause a bar fight.  :toothy12:
Georgia Boy

headbanger

Quote from: savduck on March 14, 2012, 02:49:48 PM
one more word of advise......thats the COUNTRY. If you in a local diner and your offered Sweet Tea or Grits.....just say YES.

Them country boys are still tough on yankees. Refusing sweet tea or grits will cause a bar fight.  :toothy12:

and you might ought to follow up that yes on the sweet tea and grits with a "ma'am" :icon_thumright:
them ol boys don't take to kindly to a yankee disrespectin their woman either :TooFunny:

headbanger

Spring_Woods

LOL too funny! I get along with most everybody. But, I do thank you for the advice, sir.

Sent via mobile

joshb311

Quote from: headbanger on March 14, 2012, 03:53:46 PM

and you might ought to follow up that yes on the sweet tea and grits with a "ma'am" :icon_thumright:
them ol boys don't take to kindly to a yankee disrespectin their woman either :TooFunny:

headbanger

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: C'mon now fellas.... we're not that rough down here..... usually.  :icon_thumright:  No banjo music playing so no need to padlle faster.  ;)  Just steer clear of Frank's Country Club and Boone's Saloon. You're on your own once you enter those doors.

Spring_Woods

Which license do I need to get? I went on the Georgia site to see how much it was going to be. Now I'm just confused!

joshb311

Quote from: Spring_Woods on March 14, 2012, 06:43:57 PM
Which license do I need to get? I went on the Georgia site to see how much it was going to be. Now I'm just confused!

Are you planning on coming back within a year? If not, then you can get a three day permit for much cheaper. I think you have to buy the combination hunt/fish as well as the big game. I'm fairly sure that for residents we are required to have the regular hunting license in addition to the big game when hunting turkey. I would think that this would apply to non-residents as well. It seems like the hunt/fish is a requirement for the big game license. I don't know really, because I have to buy both anyhow every year to be able to hunt both small and big game. If you get both and only will be making the one trip down this year you can get a three day permit for $90 for the big game and then $20 for the combo hunt/fish. $110 total for three days of hunting. For the annual you are looking at $295 total for the year for non-resident which covers both permits. You may want to call and check if you are required to have both as you might be able to save a little dough if only one is necessary. 1-800-366-2661 is the number on the site.

Shellwaster

Two more words of advice, permanone and snake boots. We have not had a winter of any measure and the deer and seed ticks are terrible. The warm weather we've had the last three weeks also has the snakes coming out of their slumber.

You will need the non-resident hunting license and the non-resident big game license. You should be able to buy this in a 3 day pass.

Have fun and enjoy our beautiful and ecologically diverse state.

Spring_Woods

But we're going to be hunting Saturday 24th to Friday? I'll ask them what they usually buy.

Sent via mobile

joshb311

They really hit the non-residents on the fees. It sucks.

savduck

There used to be a 7 day license. Turkey are considered big game. A resident has to have his hunting and big game hunting to kill turkeys.

Assume Non resident would to.
Georgia Boy

joshb311

Quote from: savduck on March 14, 2012, 10:16:03 PM
There used to be a 7 day license. Turkey are considered big game. A resident has to have his hunting and big game hunting to kill turkeys.

Assume Non resident would to.

That's exactly what I was thinking.... wasn't sure though.

Spring_Woods

Quote from: joshb311 on March 14, 2012, 09:40:55 PM
They really hit the non-residents on the fees. It sucks.

Yeah that is pretty high. But if there are lots of birds then it's probably worth it.

The guys I'm going with wouldn't spend this kind of money if the hunting wasn't awesome. In fact, I believe he said "you'll wonder why you ever wasted time in Kentucky, and will want to come with us every year."

Sent via mobile

Shellwaster

One more thing I forgot to mention, bring sudaphed, allegra, claritin and/or benadryl. Allergy season is early and it's hitting full swing. Being from the north it may affect you much harder and I'd hate for you to loose a day because of it.  If you wear contacts be sure to bring an extra set and some solution too.