OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Benelli- Are they worth the price? Advice...

Started by TheSportsman, February 22, 2011, 09:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg06

If you were trying to buy a good all around gun that you would use to wingshoot, turkey hunt etc.etc....  Then I would say that they are great guns and worth the price BUT---

.....there is no way on gods beautiful green earth that I would pay that much for a pure turkey gun.

I would go pick up an 870  or a Benelli Nova and deck it out with whatever my heart desired because you are going to be money ahead buying one of those two guns and can use it to buy a couple good chokes and customize it however you like. 

If money in no object- yes the benelli SBE is a nice gun and will do the deed on a turkey.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

yella yelper

I all you are concerned about is the pattern/pellet count, stick with the 870. Benelli wins in every other category. I own both

deadbuck

I had one a couple years ago in the 24" barrel. Killed a couple turkeys with it, and it was a pleasure to carry but it did not pattern good. It also did not shoot straight. I would only buy it if the seller let you shoot it a few times to check POI as Benellis are known to shoot 6 - 12 inches hi/low/left/right frequently. I hunted 2 years with it and found somebody that wanted it and got all my money back out of it. I was lucky. I now think the SX3 is the way to go in an auto.

ground control

"Benelli- Are they worth the price?" Absolutely not, at least for the SBE2. They are plastic and metal, thats it. They don't jump through hoops of fire, or save a drowning baby. They shoot a plastic shotgun shell. That being said, I own one. I drank the "kool-aid" several years ago when peer pressure got the best of me. I do love the gun, it's very simple with fewer parts to break. I've put that thing through some pretty bad stuff and it has never failed. I've done the same with other guns costing literally half as much. But for semi-autos I do believe it is a great design, but definitely not worth the $1400 plus or minus. If you do decide to get one I'm sure you will be very pleased, but it is by no means superior to any other gun. The best gun for you is the one you like and shoot best.
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"

3chunter

If you are using it for more than one purpose then Buy the Benelli and don"t even consider another gun!!!!!!!!!!!

turkeytromp

Actually alot of these new shotguns are not worth the money to some or many,but hey nothing new here right?
I have alot of different semi auto shotguns and i am an avid shooter of the shotgun but I must say I like the benelli's better than any other gun I have ever shot, the quality,the feel, and performance is second to none and plus they are quick,very quick on target recovery.
I have remingtons,franchi's,benelli's,and brownings and I really like them all but when hunting is in play I grab the benelli's. I have a two year old SBEII 24" that I designate and have it set up strickly for hunting Turkeys and Coyotes and it is very accurate and deadly. My New super vinci 26" is strickly a crow blind go to gun along with sporting clays and some upland hunting.

To me YES benelli's are worth the price and then some as it's all according to what you want in a autoloader shotgun IMHO.

rbreedi1

I love my M2.. I use it for everything. Best purchase I ever made.
Thunder Ridge Totes

PALongspur

Are they overpriced? Maybe, but what isn't these days?

I started the fall waterfowl season with a brand new  26" SBE II. After hundreds of rounds fired at Canadas, ducks, and targets at the patterning board I can say that I've never had a shotgun that handles so well or fits me better. Because of that, I'd say it was worth the hefty price tag.

Plus, Benelli's are just plain sexy... :cowboy:

bird

GC

I have two M1S90's that I would hate to be without come hunting seasons.  I've used those guns about as hard as any tool in a tool box for many years now and have yet to have a single malfunction regardless of weather, dry, wet, cold, heat, mud, dust, ice, snow, rain, ect.  They just do what they're supposed to do, go "bang" everytime.  They're light, fit me perfectly and point as naturally as my index finger, throw beautiful round and even 60/40 patterns right to point of aim, are simple to operate and even easier to clean if you ever get around to it.  I've owned just about all of the various offerings over the years from Remington, Browning, Winchester, Franchi, Beretta, and maybe some I can't think of right now and none can scoot the Benelli M1's out of their place at the front of the safe.

Hognutz

I concur. Well made, easy to take down and clean, and reliable as all heck.  :z-winnersmiley:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

bluetick523

I bought a Super Black Eagle back in '97 for a dedicated waterfowl gun.  I used it hard for several years...........and have no idea how many rounds I have fired through it.  To this day, I still have not had a problem with it.  I've also used it on the trap range some, as well as a couple days in South Dakota chasing pheasants.  I no longer waterfowl hunt, so I made the SBE my dedicated turkey gun.  I've recently added a Steady Grip stock and a FFII sight.  I really love this gun.......it's light......patterns great.....and I know it will perform.  It's a lot of money for a turkey gun..........but if the price doesn't scare you too bad......I say go for it.  My dad has always joked and said, "If you want it................you need it!". 

StruttinGobbler3

Different guns fit different people, but to me benellis are worth every dime. I have a Benelli Supernova decked out and souped up for turkey hunting, its a stone cold turkey killer. Throws awesome, deadly patterns with Hevi #6s and a IC choke. My all around, quail, duck, dove, and skeet shooting gun is a Benelli Supersport. Best shotgun I've ever owned, bar none. Could be a turkey gun as well I suppose, but I hate to put a gun of that type of quality what I put a turkey gun through. However, even if I did I imagine it would hold up well. Long story short, I wouldn't be scared at all of buying a SBE II. I've looked at them myself, just have no reason to buy one at this time.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Basser69

For the "all around gun" I love mine and worth every penny. BUT for a dedicated turkey only gun, I would by either and 11-87 or a 870