turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How patient should I be on a gobbler

Started by Spurbuster, March 05, 2012, 05:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigAL64

I learned to turkey hunt many years ago from an old timer. He tought me how to call them in but some things he let me learn for myself. He said I would remember them better if I learned from experience. We would set up on the first bird and he would walk off gobbling or go silent. I would get bored in about an hr and go after another bird I heard or try to get ahead of the bird as it was leaving. I started seeing a trend!! I would leave and one of several things would happen. He would call the bird back after he was done with his hens. He would call the bird in that I went after. The bird would come back where he heard the hen where we had started that morning. I told him after one of his successful waits that I was going to stay put from now on. He just smiled and said that you never know how many birds you spook off that you never knew were there. It's kind of funny now because I do the same thing to young hunters now. I'm not saying you should never move. Sometimes I will move just a little if my setup isn't quite right. Or if a gobbler moves off and won't come because they are henned up off the roost I will head for his strutting area and get comfortable and wait him out there. Patience has killed me many more birds then moving ever has.
Shoot em in the face