OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

patterning technique

Started by tha bugman, March 05, 2012, 01:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

OK so I made up some 3'X3' brown paper targets with a black dot in the center....so I shoot for the dot....then find the dense portion of the pattern and draw a 10" circle from the center of the mass to determine pellet count?  Is this correct?

bowhunter2k9

:z-winnersmiley:
Don't forget its at 40 yds!
Romans 8:38-39

stinkpickle

tha bugman

yes I know...but what I was going to do was shoot some dove loads at 20 yards to get my sights more or less on so I could then back off to 40 with the tureky loads and get it close to POA and POI being the same...does this sound logical?
Quote from: bowhunter2k9 on March 05, 2012, 01:19:44 PM

C J Stahly

Quote from: tha bugman on March 05, 2012, 01:58:49 PM
yes I know...but what I was going to do was shoot some dove loads at 20 yards to get my sights more or less on so I could then back off to 40 with the tureky loads and get it close to POA and POI being the same...does this sound logical?

Pattern first....or take a good cleaning kit with you.  You dont want to run a dozen shells through your gun and then try to pattern....all you will get is a headache and spend more money in chokes and shells because the pattern was sub-par.

goblr77

That's what I usually do. No need wasting the good stuff while you get your sights adjusted.

stinkpickle

Here's what I do...

1.  Shoot dove loads at 10 or 20 yards to make sure my POA/POI is "in the ballpark".
2.  Clean barrel and shoot turkey load at 40 yards.
3.  Draw 10-inch circle around densest part and count.
4.  Repeat steps #2 and #3 until a good choke/load combo is found.
5.  Adjust for any POI shift with chosen load.
6.  Finally, shoot chosen choke/load at 20 yards to make sure POI is consistent.
7.  Go hunting.

tha bugman

8.  Shoot massive turkey gobbler and step on head.
Quote from: stinkpickle on March 05, 2012, 02:18:52 PM
Here's what I do...

1.  Shoot dove loads at 10 or 20 yards to make sure my POA/POI is "in the ballpark".
6.  Finally, shoot chosen choke/load at 20 yards to make sure POI is consistent.
7.  Go hunting.

davisd9

Quote from: tha bugman on March 06, 2012, 08:10:50 AM
Here's what I do...

7.  Go hunting.

Not if you are shooting the right turkey load.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

tha bugman

total decapitation... :fud:
Quote from: davisd9 on March 06, 2012, 08:44:04 AM
Quote from: tha bugman on March 06, 2012, 08:10:50 AM
Here's what I do...

7.  Go hunting.

Not if you are shooting the right turkey load.

redleg06

Quote from: C J Stahly on March 05, 2012, 02:06:40 PM

Pattern first....or take a good cleaning kit with you.  You dont want to run a dozen shells through your gun and then try to pattern....all you will get is a headache and spend more money in chokes and shells because the pattern was sub-par.

Agreed. Thats the reason I always pattern first then adjust.

Also, I usually take a few chokes to pattern and they all might skew the POI a little differently and I dont dial in my sites until I've determined which choke/pattern I'm going to hunt with.

tha bugman

so should I get the pattern equally distributed around the POA (black dot) on the paper? I got windage great, but dove load pattern is still a little high.

yelpy

Adjust her down and squeeze again. Could save you on the high dollar shells. My guns hit the same POI with target loads and turkey loads.

tha bugman

will do~!  Looks like these March winds may mess my plans to shoot today....
Quote from: yelpy on March 06, 2012, 09:48:11 AM

Adjust her down and squeeze again. Could save you on the high dollar shells. My guns hit the same POI with target loads and turkey loads.

nyhunter

JMO...If its windy I'd wait, no need wasting those turkey loads on a windy day only to be frustrated and have to shoot again later. Trust me I have shot on windy days and its not worth it.