OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Styles of Hunting

Started by LongBeard24-7, March 03, 2012, 10:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBeard24-7

Set in one location inside a blind? Or "run n gun" until within a hundred yards or so of a gobbling turkey and set up against a tree? Is one truly better than the other or is it a matter of preferance?

twinters

as discussed in another post,hunting and killing turkeys is an art,I personally would rather hunt a turkey the old way,and that is to find him then just try to trick him in to gun range,and I believe most others on here would also. However there is a time and place for everything,to sit down and work a turkey is very rewarding so let your own conscience be your guide. A dead turkey is a dead turkey no matter how you get him that way,it is just a matter of preference.

Brent

I've done it both ways, but its alot more rewarding to me to get to go to a gobbling turkey and call him up than it is to hunt one like a deer.  The few times I've gotten lucky and been able to crawl up on a hung up bird and kill him I've got a real charge out of that too.  You have to overcome some of a turkey's best defense mechanisms if you can do either one of those.

WildSpur

It's preference.

It's running and gunning for me.  I don't have the patience to sit in a blind.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

jblackburn

I do enough sitting and waiting deer hunting in the fall.  It's run and gun for me!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

SLAYER

Knowing where a gobbler roosts and having a good idea where he wants to go in the morning and getting in between him and his strutting area I've found to be a good way to be successful. Especially when there are alot of hens roosted nearby.This is very rewarding to me because it means I've done my homework and it's paid off. It's not a sure thing though ,a hen may have roosted near him and lead or call him in the other direction. So I call a little to let him know I'm there. It's exciting to get them fired up and getem coming in double and triple gobbling, cutting your calls off and hammering back at you. But , when other hunters are in the same woods, all that gobbling draws their attention and they come and try to work the same bird often either spooking him or worse yet sneaking in to your settup, which creates a potentially dangerous situation.

hoyt

Every hunt has it's own characteristics.  My favorite scenario would be to have one roosted, have an idea which way he wants to go off the roost and get in well before light and set up 70yds or so from him.

That don't happen very often cause I'm too lazy to go roost one. So most times I go in before light where I think a gobbler will be and listen. If I don't hear any gobbling. I  will tree call a little, then give a fly down. If nothing I move on to my  next best spot and do it all over again changing calls as it gets later in the morning.

On up in the morning I'll set up in different spots and call for about 1/2hr.

jakebird

I dont own a blind per se. I use a tree umbrella for rainy days and i brush in some good set ups near traditional roosting sites and strut zones that i hunt year after year. Besides that, i like my mobility and flexibility. On properties i've hunted for years, i can expect birds to follow patterns typical year to year and i know good places to kill birds with regularity. On less familiar land, i like the added challenge of figuring the birds out and mobility isnt just a preference, its a necessity. Ill jump up and move in an instant if its what i feel i need to do to get the position i need. Its a great thrill to just choose a listening vantage point, wait for gobbling time, make a critical split second decision which bird to go after and take off in his direction. Right choice or wrong wont be revealed till later but its the thrill of the chase that keeps me coming back....
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

redleg06

Is there an option "C"?   Those two you named were pretty opposite ends of the spectrum and I'm usually somewhere in the middle depending on the situation.

I do tend to be more on the aggressive side in that I'm not going to be content to sit in a spot all day and hope one comes by. I dont consider it running and gunning what I do though either.

I do think being able to vary your approach makes you a better hunter than the guy that just picks one way of doing things and wont adjust it to fit the particular situation.

guesswho

No blind or deke for me.  And no run and gun either.   Slow, steady and deliberate is what consumes my day in the turkey woods.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

LongBeard24-7

I like the idea of moving into better position to kill a bird, more so than just remaining stationary in one location and waiting/hoping for the bird to come to me. I think I'm going to try and leave the blind at home alot more this year and only take it out on rainy days.

TN Longbeard

I don't like hunting out of a blind unless I'm hunting with a kid.

I'm usually running and gunning

WildTigerTrout

I don't use blinds or decoys. It's run and gun for me.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Shotgun

Neither...when one gobbles i go to him, but don't get in a hurry.  Im pretty much tip toeing to him.  Many times i will end up hunting another bird before I get to him.

cahaba

No blind,no deke. Heck a good tree is a bonus.

I don't run and gun anymore. The turkeys I hunt don't react for me like they did 15 or so years ago.