turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Calling To The Hens?

Started by guesswho, February 26, 2012, 07:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

I read all the time where people say when they encounter a henned up gobbler they call to the hens.  Then the hens bring the gobbler to them.   I'm not real good at calling to the gobblers and I must be even worse calling to the hens.  I have never called a flock of hen's in with a gobbler, the only ones I've called in were solo.  What am I doing wrong?  How does calling to the hens differ from calling to the gobbler?   Help!!!  Seasons only a few weeks away.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

bird

And Ronnie is bored again!  :TooFunny:

You're so full of it.
  :funnyturkey:

Ol'Mossy

I only ever called one hen in when I was a rookie, I never saw the gobbler until it was too late. Didn't really know why she showed up.  ::)

But I had a mouth battle with a hen once, I was calling to a gobbler below me and  then a hen showed up to the right of me and her and I went at it for about 20 minues. I mimicked every call she made but more aggressive, she eventually got with the gobbler and I didn't hear another peep out of either one.  >:(

redarrow

When I'm faced with a tom who wont move cause hes henned up I call to the hens. I simply repeat every call they make and it really pisses them off. They come in looking to kick some hussy's butt. And as you know ,no self respecting ol tom is gonna miss a chick fight.

Shotgun

Yep, when the hens are vocal you can repeat them and step it up a notch enough to get them to come investigate who the new gal is in town.

When the hens arn't vocal you can bet they are trying to carry that old gobbler away from you.

redleg06

Maybe it's just dumb luck but my guess is  :toothy9: that you've figured out the best way to call the hens is about the same as calling the gobblers... Just get where they want to be anyway, make some turkey noise from said position and when they come your way you can feel good about your ability to call henned up gobblers AND hens... :OGturkeyhead:

wisconsinteacher

Last year, I was able to call in hens 4 different times.  The first time the flock had 6 hens and 0 toms.  Second and third were single hens and the last time was a hen, but when she hear a distant tom, she went for him.  As she did this, she was talking a lot so I repeated her and got her mad.  Next thing you know, the tom is closer a one minute later, the tom poked his head out into the field to take a look and died.  Moral of my long story, those four times, started with me seeing a distant hen or hearing a hen and calling to her or doing what she was doing.  Each time, I had birds within gun range. 

bow junkie

I have had great success/luck with calling to a hen. But, the hens i called to were already with the gobbler. It's kind of like picking a fight. When the hens would call, i would cut them off. Hardly ever repeated or mimicked the. Just cut real aggressive, and the girls get mad and come to see what low life, no good hussy was trying to steal their man. If you locate a roosted flock (gobbler and hens) call to her.

Its no different than humans really. Boys will follow the girl.

gotcha

Figured you have that thing done and at the publisher by now.I'm holding out till it goes paperback.

Brent

I'd lots rather be sitting where the flock was headed anyway and telling myself I called them up than sitting behind them and wondering why they wouldn't come.

Now busting them up good and then calling up hens is a totally different story.

guesswho

Quote from: gotcha on February 26, 2012, 09:04:31 PM
Figured you have that thing done and at the publisher by now.I'm holding out till it goes paperback.
:TooFunny:

I think there must be something wrong with the hens down here.  I see groups of hens with a gobbler but none of them say anything.  They just walk around eating bugs and stuff.   The only hens I hear raising cane are the ones that are alone, well except on the roost.  I hear them raising cane sometimes but once they regroup and get with the gobbler I don't hear much out of them.  I have cut at them before and most of the time they just keep eating bugs and ignore me.  I guess I don't know how to piss off a hen.   If my wife was a hen I'd be in good shape, I have no trouble getting her fired up. 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

drenalinld

You have to determine if they are "funny" hens like the gobblers so many of us deal with.

Shotgun

If my wife was a hen I'd be in good shape, I have no trouble getting her fired up. 
[/quote]

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:  I know the feeling

guesswho

Quote from: drenalinld on February 26, 2012, 09:30:03 PM
You have to determine if they are "funny" hens like the gobblers so many of us deal with.
They don't appear to be funny, just snoody.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

bow junkie

try doing it when they still on the roost.