OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Indian Creek Choke Cleaning?

Started by Jayhawkeye, February 26, 2012, 01:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayhawkeye

I went to clean my IC choke for the 1st time and I didn't realize how difficult it would be...  Any recommendations on how to clean the ports?  Please share your method of cleaning your IC Choke.  Thanks for the help.
Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!!  Gobble, Gobble, Gobble...  Go KU!!!

bird

mossy835

If it is real gummed up you might soak it over night and then use the Bird's idea to finish it off.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Jayhawkeye on February 26, 2012, 01:00:35 PM
I went to clean my IC choke for the 1st time and I didn't realize how difficult it would be...  Any recommendations on how to clean the ports?  Please share your method of cleaning your IC Choke.  Thanks for the help.

Drop it into a can or other metal container filled with lacquer thinner and leave it there for several hours or even over night. Be certain that the can is sealed due to the volatility of the thinner and potential fire hazard.

You can then use a wooden handled brush with brass teeth (paint supply store product) to scrub the ports, inside and out, to remove any remaining "gunk", The use a choke tube brush to clean out any remaining plastic or powder from the wad stoppers.

You may want to use some gloves when you perform this procedure and you should do it in a well ventilated area. It's a good idea to protect any surrounding area from the thinner because it can remove the finish from things.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

chipper

I soak mine in laquer thinner like Clark suggested then I cuck up a bronze brush and short rod and a cordless drill and make sevral passes then rinse with more thinner and oil it up.

Jayhawkeye

Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!!  Gobble, Gobble, Gobble...  Go KU!!!

Gobble!

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I just brush mine until the stuff is gone.  I don't use Indian Creek chokes for any high-volume applications.  Turkey pattern-testing, and turkey hunting only.