turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wind effects on patterns ?

Started by Crappiepro, February 26, 2012, 10:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crappiepro

How much does wind effect patterns? Does it effect lead more than hevi type shot?

nyhunter

Yes it does effect patterns so does the temp. warmer temps and no wind will yield better patterns. I usually try patterning my guns in temps similar temps to my hunting conditions and with low or very little wind. Here in NY it can be very cold "hard frost" in the morning and then warm up allot by noon "quitting time".

bird

I agree with nyhunter. Plus another issue to consider is shot or pellet size just the same as in rifle ammo for example a 17HMR caliber is deadly fast and a flat shooting caliber but man can that wind can really effect it's POI which would be no differnt to consider with shotgun ammo which travels at an even slower speed. The wind is going to effect the smaller shot sizes such as 7's more so then say that of the 6's that may travel faster. This is something that most hunters don't take into consideration when setting up their turkey hunting rigs. How often is the weather perfect or the same as when you patterned your gun as when you are hunting. My guess is never. The larger the shot and the faster it travels will make that shell easier to buck or cut through the wind or less likely to be blown off it's POI.

bird

Crappiepro

redleg06

I am from north tx and the wind blows constantly in a lot of areas I hunt so I made it a point to got pattern/shoot on a windy day, directly across a 15-20mph wind to get an idea of what it would do to my hunting pattern.

I was shooting Mag Blends at 40yds and the pattern was 8"-12" off at that distance. It Would have probaly had enough pellets to kill a bird cleanly if you held it dead on him but if I'd flinched at all I could have wounded one easily or totally missed. It's information that I'll remember to account for if I ever have to shoot across a wind like that again.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Crappiepro on February 26, 2012, 10:22:36 AM
How much does wind effect patterns? Does it effect lead more than hevi type shot?

Wind effects the POI but not the patterns. The engineers at Winchester/Olin did extensive research on this subject many years ago, using the then state of the art lead shells but the information holds as true today as it did then.

They also did extensive work testing all atmospheric conditions and how temperature, humidity and barometric pressure effected patterns and penetration.

It remains the definitive work on the subject. You can find portions of that work on the Internet. If you're interested. I'm sure I can find the path to it for you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Tom Foolery

Shooting into the wind does not effect the pattern??  I would think that would mess up a pattern?

Cutt

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 27, 2012, 07:00:39 AM
Shooting into the wind does not effect the pattern??  I would think that would mess up a pattern?

I agree with Clark, in most cases I believe the wind would effect each BB the same, simply moving the whole pattern's POI. If you got real technical it might vary some with blend loads with different size shot mixtures, as the wind could effect each size shot a bit different?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 27, 2012, 07:00:39 AM

While it seems logical that wind would disturb a pattern, that is not what the extensive work done by those engineers found.

We sometimes hear people talk about "swirling wind" and it appears what they are referring to is what we often see at still target shoots when the wind is blowing in one direction at the line and another direction at the target. That's pretty tough to read.

We also see that the direction of the wind will change very often during an event. Barometric pressure drops in the afternoon, normally and it can also become warmer and all of these factors effect the patterns.

At the 2011 World Championships, we had constant wind, temperatures varied by as much as 20 degrees during the day, from morning to early afternoon and then dropped again in the later afternoon. We had 2 days of those kinds of conditions.

That was tough shooting.

Thanks,
Clark

davisd9

Well from personal experience I can say a good cross wind will drive you crazy as you pattern.  I like a calm day and if there is wind then a 4-5 mph crosswind.  I do not think a wind coming from behind you will mess you up much.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

allaboutshooting

Quote from: davisd9 on February 27, 2012, 11:26:04 AM
Well from personal experience I can say a good cross wind will drive you crazy as you pattern.  I like a calm day and if there is wind then a 4-5 mph crosswind.  I do not think a wind coming from behind you will mess you up much.

That has been my experience as well.

Thanks,
Clark