OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke Constriction to Shot Size

Started by GregWinesette, February 24, 2012, 11:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregWinesette

What are you guys having the best results with shot sizes to choke tube constrictions.

Ex: #6s in a .665 or #4s in a .670

12 Guage is the shell size Im referring to forgot to mention that!

Thanks guys!

Bamarich

Sure folks more learned than me will be commenting on the thread, but this is a question with many answers.  If you're shooting lead, you generally need a tighter constriction than with hevi-shot.  If you're shooting larger shot, the general rule is you want a more open constriction.

However, when you're talking about specific numbers, everything is relative to your specific shotgun.  If you've got a barrel with a constriction around .723, the answer is going to be different than a gun with a barrel that's overbored at .732.  Just my two cents.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well for 870 barrels I say there is no need to go tighter than .655 for 6's or 7's.  Pretty much the same thing for Winchester barrels.  For Browning .742 bores for 6 or 7s it seems to be right around .670 to .675.  And for Mossberg .775 bores for 7's .670 to .676 to seems to be just about perfect and .680 to .690 for 6's.  Some may try and tell you that a .643 Tru Glo SSX will do well in Rem bores.  I can't say that I agree from my findings.  When you go tighter than .655 in Rem bores, you start to blow the pattern with holes.  Now the Tru-Glo SSX .670 shoots very well with Hevi-Shot #7's in the 835 barrel.

And to add the 4's will tend to like the more open choke on the upper end of the numbers I mentioned and probably .680 to .695 in most barrels. 

GregWinesette

The guns Im shootin are an 870 with a .675 undertaker that I have 4
different types of ammo in the AM. Also shooting a mossberg 500 with a choke I'm not exactly sure of the constriction as it came on a turkey gun that is long gone now, its a Briley choke and has no markings. Reckon I'll find out in the am!

3 in Winchester Supreme #5s 2 ounces
3 in Winchester Super x #5s 1 7/8 ounce
3 in Hevi- 13 #6's 2 ounces
3 in Remington Nitro #5s 1 7/8 ounces

Also shootin a 20 but thats a topic for another thread!

Thanks for the replies so far

Bamarich

With an 870 that I had in the past, I had a lethal pattern out to 65 yards with a Briley Hevi-shot choke (non-ported) and Hevi #6's.  I think the constriction was about .675.  One thing though... not all .675 constricted chokes shoot the same.  Good luck.

GregWinesette

Mossberg patterned much better with the hevi 6s. 65 in the head alone at 40 yds. Bout 140 in a 10 in circle at 40. Not as evenly spread as I would like but I believe it'll kill one I I make everything else happen.

Hooks' n' Beards'

GregWinesette

Anyone not agree tht that would be a killing shot? I'd like to get it tighter but am short on funds right now being a broke college kid! Haha

SKFOOTER

Quote from: Spuriosity on February 25, 2012, 09:07:38 AM
You've gotten good advice so far. Can't speak to the MB, but these are proven performers in the 870 in order of ascending constriction: SSX .643, Sumtoy .650, Kicks GT .655. Rem Ventilator .655, IC BDS .665, Sumtoy .670, PG .670. If it were me, I would start with the most economical choice, the Rem Ventilator. If you're open to trying lead 6s, you will likely get better numbers and more overall range. The 5s have great energy and penetration, but it's often difficult to get adequate numbers to make use of that energy, but either should work fine at 40 yds. Good luck.
You left out the Jellyhead .660??

GregWinesette

Has anyone shot the .660 jh out of a mossberg 500 with the HTL with good results?