turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tail Feather Question

Started by keyser12ga, February 21, 2011, 08:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keyser12ga

I pulled last falls fan out of the freezer to try to mount it myself, it was a young bird.  I decided to remove each individual feather and have it arranged in order in styrofoam.  There were several feathers that weren't hollow, they were soft around the last inch of the base and filled with pulp/blood and were kind of black and had a tubular sheath going up toward the feather.  Are these still ok for mounting?  Is this because the feathers were still growing? 

keyser12ga

Thanks for the info, I removed the sheath and there was feather underneath, it just hasn't formed a hard quill so I wasn't sure what to do.  I had them all lined up in order and unfortunately the kids found a way to climb up and get to them and came running through the house with them so I've got a few to sort out.

Muskie03

Quote from: georgiaboy83 on February 24, 2011, 01:53:50 PM
Quote from: keyser12ga on February 24, 2011, 01:29:49 PM
Thanks for the info, I removed the sheath and there was feather underneath, it just hasn't formed a hard quill so I wasn't sure what to do.  I had them all lined up in order and unfortunately the kids found a way to climb up and get to them and came running through the house with them so I've got a few to sort out.

Sounds about like my boys, again LMK if you need any help I'll be glad to assist in any way.

-
Jode

Mighty nice of you georgiaboy
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.