turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The 16 Gauge Project--Old School Turkey Killer

Started by Borden811, February 21, 2012, 07:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

As promised, here's the post that will mark the journey of my "old school turkey adventures" this year. I figured I would document this whole thing from start to finish, with pics where applicable. Hopefully it will be a neat thread to follow throughout the season, and look back on when it's all done. I decided to try and kill bird number one with two inherited pieces of turkey gear. The two most important pieces that is. My grandpa's Winchester model 12, 16 gauge and his early 50's M.L. Lynch World Champ Turkey Call. Here's the main component(You can see in the pics the butt stock has a chunk missing by the heel. That little bit of character occured when he fell off of a highwall hunting rabbits with his beagle in the 60's). She's been well used, and has lots of character, just the way I like her. Most of the blueing is worn off of the reciever, and it's looks more stainless than blued, not a safe queen by any means! She's a nickel steel model, with a 25 inch full choked barrel(mik'd at .640). 25 inches seemed odd to me, but that's what it measures, a full inch shorter than the 26 inch modified barrel that also came with the gun. The modified barrel has serial numbers that match the reciever, so I can only assume he picked up the full barrel later on in life, after his dad had given him the gun. I polished the barrel last nite, and it looks comparable to my SBEII's chrome lined barrel. The sights will be the plain brass bead(hopefully it hits close to POA).

So, to start off, I rounded up any and all 16 gauge shells I had in the gun cabinet and then ordered some others. Here's the breakdown of what I have so far (the hevi-13 isn't pictured, it should be here tomorrow):

Remington Express (Power Piston)   1 1/8oz #4 (3 1/4Dr)
Remington Express (Long Range)     1 1/8oz #6 (3 1/4Dr)
American Eagle(Federal) Copper Pl. 1 1/8oz #6 (2 3/4Dr)
Federal High Power                 1 1/8oz #6 (3 1/4Dr)
Federal Premium Magnum Copper Pl, Buff.     1 1/4oz #6 (3 1/4Dr)
Winchester Super X                 1 1/8oz #6 (3 1/4Dr)
Hevi-13 Duck                       1 1/4oz #6 (3 1/4Dr)

If the weather allows, I plan on patterning Thursday afternoon after work, at both 30 and 40 yards. Ideally, I'd like to use lead, since that's what "Pap" used, but if the Hevi-13 yields significantly better results, I'll use it in fairness to the turkeys. They deserve the most efficient death I can deliver.

I'll post all the pattern pics after I'm done shooting them, and see what you guys think looks best. Maybe we can take a poll on what load I should use, and make it interactive in a roundabout sort of way. Anyway, that's all i can think of for now, I'll update Thursday evening, hopefully with lots of pics of holes in paper!

P.S.
Here's the 16's sidekick, an early model(Pre-1958) 102(so early it doesn't even have the model number on it) M.L. Lynch World Champ Turkey Call, in the 3 Hole Alabama format. Interestingly enough, it might be worth more than the gun, considering the condition both of them are in. Call=Good, Gun=Used, with lots of character   ;D

The Cohutta Strutter

Cool! I bet it will be an awesome adventure. Will follow. :icon_thumright:
Anybody seen America lately?

Crappiepro

Thats cool and the history behind it is awesome! I look forward to reading more of your progress with the gun and its patterns. I hope it shoots good for ya! Keep us posted!
Good Luck, Crappiepro

surehuntsalot

good luck with all of your testing
I have my money on the Federal premium magnums
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

trkehunr93

Those Model 12's killed alot of turkeys back in the day.  Can't wait to see the pics when oyu pattern it.  I think it will like the Federal Premium or the Win Super x.

sevetts

K9Doc

Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

Borden811

I'm hoping the turkeys see them and think "Hey, look at that dummy with the purple shells, he can't possibly know what he's doing". I'm betting on the Federal premiums, or the Hevi-13 Duck shells. We will find out soon enough though!

mountman62

i was having the same thoughts yesterday, but using my grandpa's old browning sweet 16 along with my wifes granfather's lynch jet slate and an old handmade box that belonged to a local also, great minds think alike huh
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

Borden811

These destructive little buggars arrived today. They sure look deadly! I'll have patterning results tomorrow.

I tried and tried to get a good pic of how shiny I was able to get the inside of the barrel. This is the best I could do, and it's a crappy pic. I plan on running a bore snake through the barrel a couple of times between every shot, to keep it as clean as I can.

BrowningGuy88

I have every intention of busting one with my Model 12 12 Gauge with a 30" full this year. Those Hevi loads ought to do the trick for you. Winchest XX Mag 1.5 ounce 4's are doing it for me.

gobblergls

Hevi-13?  I'd no more shoot Hevi shot out of that gun than I would steel shot.  You might get  away with it for awhile, but you are asking for trouble with the nickle steel barrel, especially the full choke.  Bulging or ringing is a distinct possibility when it passes through the choke.  Lead only would be the best choice.  

BrowningGuy88

Borden811

Quote from: gobblergls on February 22, 2012, 04:37:43 PM
Hevi-13?  I'd no more shoot Hevi shot out of that gun than I would steel shot.  You might get  away with it for awhile, but you are asking for trouble with the nickle steel barrel, especially the full choke.  Bulging or ringing is a distinct possibility when it passes through the choke.  Lead only would be the best choice.  

There will be about 3 shells total shot out of it. One at 40 to check pattern, one at 30 if the 40 yd pattern isn't good, and one at a turkey, if it throws the best pattern out of the 7 kinds of shells I have to try. If I have a lead shell that throws a pattern even close to the hevi-13, then lead it will be. I only plan on shooting one turkey with this gun.

schuylkillspur

I made up this 16ga turkey gun Inc a extra full choke I installed. I shot a bunch of different ammo through it, Rem express 7.5 shot the best.
You hav nothing w/o FAITH