OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bad Weather Gun

Started by sippy cup, February 18, 2012, 08:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurcollecta

Quote from: gersus on February 18, 2012, 11:35:36 PM
If you're afraid of rain/dirt getting on your turkey gun you need to get a different gun. Turkey hunting is a down and dirty sport IMO, if you worry about your gun, your gonna prevent yourself from working close to that difficult hung up gobbler.
:z-winnersmiley:

redleg06

I dont have any guns that I WOULDNT hunt in the rain/mud with.

MERCing

If there is a threat of rain, I'll take one of my synthetic stocked, dipped guns and try to keep it as dry as possible but they have gotten wet. I just clean and re-oil them when I get home.

Ever heard the phrase...March winds bring April showers....

Spring here in the South East can be very unpredictable and if you're not prepared to hunt in inclement weather, you could seriously limit your hunting time, especially if the weekends are the only days you have off.

runngun

Got a safe full of guns and ain't nary a one a "safe queen". To each his own but that is what I bought them for, to hunt and shoot stuff with.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Gummi Bear

I refuse to own toys I can't play with....

My primary turkey gun is a 870 super mag.  I put a TruGlo fiber optic sight on it and with the parkerized finish and synthetic stock, I'm not the slightest bit concerned with it getting wet, dirty or scratched in the brush.

This year I'll be after 'em hard with my bow though.  Been shooting a lot of 3D, and practicing with my mouth calls (they still sound horrible)

ChiefBubba

Clark what's the Vapor Tech products you mentioned? Thank you, Chief.

WyoHunter

Quote from: sippy cup on February 19, 2012, 10:46:58 AM
i was thinking about getting a beat up old 870 or a mossberg just for rainy days  :turkey2: :turkey2: :turkey2: :funnyturkey: :funnyturkey:
Good idea!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

agturkey

Send any gun you have to Lee at blackicecoatings.com and get it teflon coated never worry about weather again.  Tell him Scott sent you he is the best at teflon coating and dipping IMO.

TrophyTracker

Unless you are hunting in salt water, run what ya brung.
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

BrowningGuy88

My turkey gun gets the worst treatment of any gun I own. I have so few days to hunt that I go even if it is storming. I have found that if I oil it good before I go and let it dry off then spray it down again when I get home it will not rust. If I wasn't going to use it for all weather, I would have gotten a Peerless 1100 or a shiny Beretta A400 and just used it during nice weather. I bought a matte finished, synthetic stocked, camo'd gun to HUNT!

bird

I'm still curious to what turkey gun is so special that a guy would be concerned about getting it dirty and wet. Come on man tell us what gun ya got. Inquiring minds want to know.

sippy cup

Its a model 12 winchester that my granddad left me when he  died I was born 2 months after his death that is why it means so much :mycross: :bible:
beware of longdale legend

runngun

You could put away the model 12 and buy you a 870 maybe from a pawn shop. You just about can not beat them.  Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

mudhen

My rain gun is my SBE II.  Easy to clean, easy to dry out, etc.

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Dbrnmllr

Quote from: runngun on February 20, 2012, 06:52:31 PM
You could put away the model 12 and buy you a 870 maybe from a pawn shop. You just about can not beat them.  Good Luck with whatever you decide.

X2.  Most of my heirlooms sit in the house.  870 is the best all around pump there is.