turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

polishing your Barrel updated pics.

Started by VAHUNTER, February 06, 2011, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eight bore

There is no Left or Right -- there is only freedom or tyranny. Everything else is an illusion, an obfuscation to keep you confused and silent as the world burns around you." - Philip Brennan

VAHUNTER

Quote from: Turkey Terror on February 14, 2011, 04:20:43 PM
Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 13, 2011, 07:16:32 PM
Turkey Terror
it would surprise me if it had any lead build up. most of the loads today have a pretty good wad to protect the barrel. for Wad build up you can use shooters choice or Butches and it will clear it out quick. i do not use steel wool on any of my barrels (some do but i don't) so i would not recommend that to you. i would recommend that you use J&B and KROIL and polish your barrel using scotch brite or a cotton patch.

Shooters Choice solvent? And how do I go about putting that on the inside of my barrel? Soak a 12 g brush in it and use a cleaning rod in a drill? Or something different?

Thanks
Colton
yes Shooters choice or Butches solvent will take the plastic from the wad out of your barrel. i usually just soak a patch and scrub the barrel. then follow with a brush. you will see it peel up .
Good things come to those who wait

njdevilsb

I just did this to my 535 this afternoon.  It came out great.  It'll just about blind you looking down the barrel now aimed at a light.  Thanks for this post and the help VAHUNTER.  I'm going to pickup a .410 brush tomorrow and do my 20 gauge and my dad wants his done now before the season rolls around.  Can't wait for warmer weather so I can compare some results.

VAHUNTER

Quote from: njdevilsb on February 18, 2011, 10:39:13 PM
I just did this to my 535 this afternoon.  It came out great.  It'll just about blind you looking down the barrel now aimed at a light.  Thanks for this post and the help VAHAUNTER.  I'm going to pickup a .410 brush tomorrow and do my 20 gauge and my dad wants his done now before the season rolls around.  Can't wait for warmer weather so I can compare some results.
thats great!!!! you should see some positive results . i have done my 835 a couple times. each time i do it it improves the pattern even more.make sure you post the results after you pattern it :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

BowBendr

Well, I did my 835 today.
I started off by using Clarks' deep cleaning method and couldn't believe what came out of the barrel by following the directions exactly as printed. When I was done the barrel was really clean and fairly shiney.

Next, I moved on to the actual polishing and must admit that I did not follow Shawns exact directions and was less than pleased with the results. I had everything I needed for the job except Kroil and JB Bore Brite. I started off with the green scotchbrite pads and JB Bore Cleaning Compound and used a mixture of dark thread cutting oil and Marvel Mystery oil.

I made about 150 passes with this combo and could tell that my slurry coming out was awful thin....I didn't hurt anything and the barrel is getting bright but I believe i'll be ordering the Kroil and Bore brite tonite so I can achieve a mirror like finish when done properly.

When all else fails, read the directions.... :fud: :newmascot:

blackswamp

Has anybody ever done this & put it on Youtube? I would like to see a video of this being done.
Life is hard, its even harder when you're stupid!- JOHN WAYNE

VAHUNTER

Quote from: BowBendr on February 19, 2011, 08:44:51 PM
Well, I did my 835 today.
I started off by using Clarks' deep cleaning method and couldn't believe what came out of the barrel by following the directions exactly as printed. When I was done the barrel was really clean and fairly shiney.

Next, I moved on to the actual polishing and must admit that I did not follow Shawns exact directions and was less than pleased with the results. I had everything I needed for the job except Kroil and JB Bore Brite. I started off with the green scotchbrite pads and JB Bore Cleaning Compound and used a mixture of dark thread cutting oil and Marvel Mystery oil.

I made about 150 passes with this combo and could tell that my slurry coming out was awful thin....I didn't hurt anything and the barrel is getting bright but I believe i'll be ordering the Kroil and Bore brite tonite so I can achieve a mirror like finish when done properly.

When all else fails, read the directions.... :fud: :newmascot:
it only took me doing 1 barrel without using Kroil to teach me a lesson. you will not get the bebefit of polishing if you do not use the right materials !!!!
for 2 or 3 years i polished all my barrels with just the J&B Bore cleaner and Kroil. last year i added the second step which is J&B Bore Bright and Kroil. i was amazed !! i always tell everyone the same thing after i send them there barrel.
at the muzzle end of the barrel lay a newspaper or magazine, hold the barrel 1/4"away from the print. when you look into the chamber you will see the writing in the barrel.that is a mirror shine!!!! thats as good as it gets. Shawn

FullChoke

Vahunter,

In your original post, you recommend using a .44 caliber brass brush to polish the barrel of a 20 gauge. You also recommend using a 20 gauge brush for a 12 gauge barrel.

Why do recommend the smaller brushes?

Also, can the cleaning with the J&B Bore Cleaner be substituted with a deep cleaning using Hoppe's?

Thanks.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

VAHUNTER

Quote from: FullChoke on February 21, 2011, 02:21:49 PM
Vahunter,

In your original post, you recommend using a .44 caliber brass brush to polish the barrel of a 20 gauge. You also recommend using a 20 gauge brush for a 12 gauge barrel.

Why do recommend the smaller brushes?

Also, can the cleaning with the J&B Bore Cleaner be substituted with a deep cleaning using Hoppe's?

Thanks.

FullChoke
you have got to use a smaller caliber brush to have room for the Scotch Brite. once you wrap your brush you will see why.
i keep a bottle of Hoppes on hand to take a wiff of every once in a while. i like the smell of it but thats about it.

when to use the J-B Bore cleaner that is part of the polishing proccess.

paladin

I like to admit when I am wrong.
I substituted products for kroil and jb to polish my barrel.
My stuff worked but not as fast and not as well.
I was cheap and the other stuff was on hand.
How much Kroil do you use? How much jb cleaner?
Per patch/brite pad
"have gun-will travel"

VAHUNTER

Quote from: slickyboyboo on February 22, 2011, 05:17:42 PM
Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 07, 2011, 11:17:19 AM
Quote from: schief on February 07, 2011, 09:58:58 AM
wondering why it's not recommended to polish chamber. i like idea of using the shell.
if you polish a chamber you are taking the chance of making it to slick for the shell. causing it not to hold when you fire the gun.

I always understood that polishing your chamber was a good thing, because it aided in smooth cycling. Most professional smiths or companies polish your chamber also when you send your barrel to be polished. I have always polished the chamber of my 870 with no ill effects at all.
i also like to lightly polish the chambers on my barrels. but i do not want to recommend polishing a chamber to someone that is not comfortable doing it .after seeing and hearing the different things some members use to polish a barrel i do not want the responsibility of telling someone that it is ok and they ruin a chamber due to aggressive polishing

VAHUNTER

Quote from: paladin on February 22, 2011, 08:25:46 PM
I like to admit when I am wrong.
I substituted products for kroil and jb to polish my barrel.
My stuff worked but not as fast and not as well.
I was cheap and the other stuff was on hand.
How much Kroil do you use? How much jb cleaner?
Per patch/brite pad
i soak the Scotch Bright or patch with Kroil. as far as the J-B i just add as much as i think is needed. usually a index finger full will cover the patch pretty good. it does state on the container that a little goes a long ways. but i always go by more is better except for calling turkeys

njdevilsb

I see from your new pictures, it looks like you wrap a much bigger piece of scotch brite pad around the brush than I did. I thought it may have been too tight doing it that way, so I trimmed it so there was only one layer of scotch brite on the brush, instead of overlapping.  Does your overlap quite a bit?   

VAHUNTER

Quote from: njdevilsb on February 25, 2011, 10:26:40 PM
I see from your new pictures, it looks like you wrap a much bigger piece of scotch brite pad around the brush than I did. I thought it may have been too tight doing it that way, so I trimmed it so there was only one layer of scotch brite on the brush, instead of overlapping.  Does your overlap quite a bit?   
i was doing ShotgunDaves 835 in that pic. the bigger the bore the bigger piece of Scotch Brite is needed

ShotgunDave

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 26, 2011, 06:19:52 AM
Quote from: njdevilsb on February 25, 2011, 10:26:40 PM
i was doing ShotgunDaves 835 in that pic. the bigger the bore the bigger piece of Scotch Brite is needed

:z-guntootsmiley: