turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

coyote howler as locator call

Started by longhorn, February 16, 2012, 02:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longhorn

I have a trip to west Texas coming up. There aren't many owls there if any. I thought I would try a coyote howler to locate birds on the roost. Don't think I would try it in the morning thought. Anybody tried this or know of a good howler.

kenturkey89

I always have a coyote howler in my vest every spring and to answer your question, birds definitely will sound off to a howling coyote.  I bought one last year after sitting and listening to a female about 100 yards away from me howling off and on for a couple minutes.  It was just getting light out and she got every gobbler within a quarter mile radius absolutely fired up.  I've only used my howler early morning because I don't hear any howls around hear except at that time and like, I said, it works.  I bought some inexpensive Primo's howlers, I think I paid somewhere around $20 for it at Bass Pro.  Good luck and I hope it works out for you!
Brian

longhorn

Thanks for the reply. Aren't you worried about the coyote call running of the turkey. I thought they might go the other way when they flew down. I think I've heard them in the evening too but not sure. Anyway I'll try Bass Pro. Thanks again.

kenturkey89

You're right, coyotes can howl any time during the day, but I can only count on one hand the times I've heard a coyote bark or howl while it's been light out, at least that's just how it is on my farm.  They're so much more active at dusk, dawn, and throughout the night that that's the times when you'll hear them the most.  If I use my howler I don't worry too much about spooking birds the other way because I howl well before a bird even thinks about leaving a tree, which gives him plenty of time to settle down.  Also, birds have coyotes and other predators running under their trees and howling and making racket throughout the night, and I think they get somewhat accustomed to it.  That morning I told you I heard the coyote howling, I decided to head in that direction about 2 hours after sunrise to try and strike up a bird and I saw tracks from a couple of hens right in the exact area where the coyote was. 

One more thing, I don't set up in the exact location I howl from, or crow or hoot from for that matter.  I like to move at least 50 or more yards from the spot, but that all depends on the terrain and how close you are to birds.  I have the Primos Lil Dog and it seams to work fine for what I need it to do.  Hope this helps!
Brian

longhorn

I just ordered the Lil Dog. I'm going to give it a try on this next trip. Plenty of coyotes there. Thanks for the help.

titansfan2104

Get an e.l.k power howler from elk inc. I used one all last spring. Doesn't even have to.sound like a howl. Another option would be a howler diaphrams although they are not as loud.