North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What Time of day do you score most .

Started by hookedspur, February 14, 2012, 11:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When do you connect ? What time of the day do you kill  the majority of your birds? .

Fly Down
42 (28.4%)
Mid Morn
78 (52.7%)
Late Morn -Noon
21 (14.2%)
Afternoon
6 (4.1%)
Before Roost
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Lenny870

worth612000

8am till 9:30am has been the most productive for me

Bigmiah22

Siwash

A majority of you state mid-morning and many around noon.. can someone tell me why so many set up at ungodly hours (well before sunrise) if you're getting a good chunk of your birds well after sunrise??

Thanks..

Is ee them very active in late afternoon too.. I shot my first ever bird at 6:45 PM

redleg06

Quote from: Siwash on April 10, 2012, 11:44:35 PM
A majority of you state mid-morning and many around noon.. can someone tell me why so many set up at ungodly hours (well before sunrise) if you're getting a good chunk of your birds well after sunrise??

Thanks..

Is ee them very active in late afternoon too.. I shot my first ever bird at 6:45 PM

Because you cant kill them if you arent out there and plenty of birds get killed at any given time of day.

Also, they are more vocal early in the mornings right off the roost so it's easier to locate them and then hang with them in that area so that, later in the day, if you arent able to kill them right after they fly down you are within their area already and (hopefully you have a good idea of exactly where they are) can engage them once their hens leave or their mood changes.

hotrod49er

I've killed more birds from 2 pm - 7 pm.

vtmchunter

My favorite time is when that first gobble sounds at the crack of dawn, because I'm so excited to just be out there.  I've had the most luck 1 - 3 hours after daylight though.  If I had more sense I would hunt less aggressively that first hour during flydown.

mknoble91

Quote from: hotrod49er on April 11, 2012, 11:26:21 PM
I've killed more birds from 2 pm - 7 pm.

Me too! Almost all of my birds have been late afternoon and evening.

lonnie sneed jr.

(Est.) 45% Flydown to 8:00 a.m. with (50% of the 45% being within 15 min. after they fly down.
50% 8:00a.m. to 11:00a.m. and
5% from 11:00a.m. to 12 or 1:00 p.m.
This is hunting WV and VA.  the 2 states I hunt the most.
Other states I have no idea.

boatpaddle

Flydown till 8:00

Hard to strike a gobbler in PA. after 8:00,  anymore......
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

gobbler777

For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

tomanyturkeycalls

I love getting out there very early.. last year I was done at 5:45 am the previous year  6:15 am..... them are my earliest birds... can't hunt in Illinois after 1 pm .. and I need all the time i can get..

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Ive seen 5 shot this season before 640am.

Aggressive, close proximity roost setups are lethal if you know how to implement them.

I shot one at 745am this week. That's the latest I've seen one die this year.

Dan Mallia

Great thread.

I've killed must of my birds between 8 and 11.