turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke honing/polishing?

Started by gaboy, February 13, 2012, 08:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaboy

Was wondering if there's any benefit to honing & polishing a turkey choke to remove the lathe marks. I'm sure your mileage will vary but just curious if anyone had done it and if helped or hurt patterns.

gaboy

pullit

someone that know more than me will chime in, but I would not think that honing or polishing your choke would be a good thing. A lot of choke makers build wad stripper in their choke design to slow the wad down. By honing and or polishing I would think you stand a strong chance of removing, and or reducing the desired effect of the wad stripper.

In my mind cleaning the choke is good, polishing or honing would be bad.

01Foreman400

Huntin Fool From Georgia!

SumToy

Quote from: pullit on February 13, 2012, 08:59:23 PM
someone that know more than me will chime in, but I would not think that honing or polishing your choke would be a good thing. A lot of choke makers build wad stripper in their choke design to slow the wad down. By honing and or polishing I would think you stand a strong chance of removing, and or reducing the desired effect of the wad stripper.

In my mind cleaning the choke is good, polishing or honing would be bad.

The lathe marks are not as bad as the ports.  They help alot of times to slow the wad down.  Now if it is chatter that is diffrent.  If it is a swirl that hurts also.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

delta hunter

I would be afraid of ruining my choke

gaboy

rtsj

What about the Chokes for Fed. flight control wad? U don't want to strip that was so would it be okay if your only shooting the Feds?

Roy

SumToy

That opens a big door.  I will stay outside and just say I DO NOT choke my FCW guns real small.  That wad does not have much give to it.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA