Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone seeing their easterns strutting yet?

Started by reflexl, February 13, 2012, 07:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWC07

I saw 2 struttin' this morning here in Middle TN.

sugarray

Well, I let my emotions get the best of me there.

I'd come video that hunt for ya.  That thing is just, well, hard to describe!  Sure do hope you get him and not someone else!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reflexl

I think I am the only one around here that hasn't seen them strut yet. reflex264

Longspur321

HMMMMM.....Lotta Georgia reports... I was planning on heading up to NE GA 2nd week of April. Y'all think I'd be better off going earlier?
"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."--John Wayne

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."--Steve McQueen

guesswho

Quote from: Longspur321 on February 14, 2012, 10:45:35 AM
HMMMMM.....Lotta Georgia reports... I was planning on heading up to NE GA 2nd week of April. Y'all think I'd be better off going earlier?
I'd stick with the original plan, unless you can swing two trips. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

headbanger

Yep, been seein the ol boys struttin for the last week or 2 here in GA but the sexes are still separated for the most part except for some mingling. The hens ain't ready yet.

headbanger

CASH

Yep. Saw one strutting this morning with 4 hens. It was 39 degrees and raining. 5 minute walk from my house. Of course I can't hunt there. Oh well.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Longspur321

Quote from: guesswho on February 14, 2012, 11:16:48 AM
Quote from: Longspur321 on February 14, 2012, 10:45:35 AM
I'd stick with the original plan, unless you can swing two trips. 

:icon_thumright:
"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."--John Wayne

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."--Steve McQueen

vaturkey

Quote from: Flydown on February 13, 2012, 08:33:30 PM

Its strange how that 5th bird always comes on April 30th. That has been a pretty lucky day for me for a long time. :D

So it takes you 47 days to kill 5 gobblers ?   HUMMMMM   :funnyturkey:
Vaturkey

guesswho

Quote from: vaturkey on February 14, 2012, 03:43:48 PM
Quote from: guesswho on February 13, 2012, 08:30:34 PM
Might kill him the last day ;D

Its strange how that 5th bird always comes on April 30th. That has been a pretty lucky day for me for a long time. :D

So it takes you 47 days to kill 5 gobblers ?   HUMMMMM   :funnyturkey:
What can I say, I ain't to good at this.  Thats why I ask so many questions.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

BrowningGuy88

No it is just that Alabama birds are so much smarter and harder to kill!  :OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

I am seeing groups of turkeys with the sexes split. Saw one group of 11 gobblers! Too bad they will split up before March 15th, that would be one heck of a show!

chatterbox

Quote from: guesswho on February 14, 2012, 03:49:23 PM
Quote from: vaturkey on February 14, 2012, 03:43:48 PM
Quote from: guesswho on February 13, 2012, 08:30:34 PM
Might kill him the last day ;D

So it takes you 47 days to kill 5 gobblers ?   HUMMMMM   :funnyturkey:
What can I say, I ain't to good at this.  Thats why I ask so many questions.
Yah, that's it. ;D

TennLongspur

I've seen several strutters in SE Tennessee over the past few weeks. But they rae still all grouped up. Just this morning saw 40+ feeding in a field. Most were hens and young, but there were three strutters tagging along.

Unless I am mistaken, it is the increasing amount of daylight that causes the hens to be receptive, not warm weather. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the boys are ready just about anytime. It's the girls that determine when breeding happens (isn't that the way it always goes?  :toothy9: ) It's lengthening days, right?
"The wild turkey possesses the remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

reflexl

Yep. They are waiting on the ladies. One cold morning during deer season I had one gobbling his head off about 200 yards from me. reflex264

VA_Birdhunter

My neighbor was telling me that some guys he knows that work for the gas well companies up here said they have been gobbling hard and a lot on the nice days we've been having this winter.  This is up in Northern WV.  I would say down south there really hitting it hard.  Lord i can't wait!!!

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens