Patience Kills Turkeys
22 (37.3%)
Experience Kills Turkeys
37 (62.7%)
Luck Kills ATurkeys
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Fullfan

Man I have crushed my fair share in 31 years. I would rather be lucky that good any day. And most of the time being in the right spot ( set up) at the right time has hepled.
Don't gobble at me...

paboxcall

Quote from: chatterbox on February 13, 2012, 07:11:41 PM
Quote from: Shotgun on February 13, 2012, 06:51:47 PM
Eperience kills more turkeys hands down year after year.  Typically experienced hunters have better places to hunt or at least know what areas to look for to hunt when in new areas.  Also experience minimizes mistakes and allows for more luck to happen.
Shotgun nailed it right on the head. Hunters often make thier own luck. For the experienced ones, it seems to be good luck more often than not.

The old saying, "luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity," fits nicely here in the context of Guesswho's question.

We all get a "gimme" turkey every now and then, but to consistently be in a position to pull the trigger takes repeated successful application of your own experiences.  Jim Spencer wrote once "sit down wrong and you're beat."  Sitting down right can be a function of luck sometimes, but I think its way more often a function of knowing the right set up from a wrong set up.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

mossy835

Patience first for me then experience gained from experience and one of Ronnie's pink turkey decoys that he threw out!
:TooFunny:

guesswho

I thought we were on to something with that pink deke and my tailfan camo face mask.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

drenalinld

The arrogant veteran wanna be in me could answer this so eloquently, but I'm trying to tone it down.

guesswho

Quote from: drenalinld on February 13, 2012, 08:25:38 PM
The arrogant veteran wanna be in me could answer this so eloquently, but I'm trying to tone it down.
Don't hold back.  If I don't like what you type I won't read it.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

TRKYHTR

I think those hunters that consistently kill turkeys have enough experience to know when to be patient and when it's time to move.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Flydown

Quote from: TRKYHTR on February 13, 2012, 08:39:47 PM
I think those hunters that consistently kill turkeys have enough experience to know when to be patient and when it's time to move.

TRKYHTR

I like this answer!

Sent from my desktop computer using the keyboard.

anthonyjhallen

You always ask the best questions.

IMO Experience=Confidence=Dead Turkeys

drenalinld

Experience means little. It is only useful to those who learn from it and put that knowledge to use. That learning curve is different for each hunter.  It's more about hunter savvy. I know plenty of guys who fill most of their tags for twenty plus years but make the same  mistakes day after day and season after season. By most standards they would be experienced veterans but they do not adapt and learn and react but rather depend on luck and patience. It will lead to kills but I like to take the game to the gobbler.

guesswho

Quote from: drenalinld on February 13, 2012, 08:57:29 PM
Experience means little. It is only useful to those who learn from it and put that knowledge to use.
I agree.  You can be experienced at getting whooped by turkeys year in and year out.  Your still experienced, but it sure as heck ain't going to be the strong part of your game.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

guesswho

Quote from: anthonyjhallen on February 13, 2012, 08:50:23 PM
You always ask the best questions.

Confidence!  Now were talking. 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

BOFF

Aughhhh!!!

You and your, "think about it" questions.

Can I change my answer?   :TooFunny:

I lacked patience in thinking about it fully, and shot the answer out to soon.

Guess my luck ran out on me.

God Bless,
David B.

Eric Gregg

Quote from: guesswho on February 13, 2012, 07:53:18 PM
I thought we were on to something with that pink deke and my tailfan camo face mask.   

Stop Ronnie, stop man.... :TooFunny:

Spurcollecta

Quote from: anthonyjhallen on February 13, 2012, 08:50:23 PM

^^^ Yessir! I would also add persistence into this equation.