OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rem 870/ Winchester 3 2 5 Pattern

Started by houser52, February 12, 2012, 03:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

houser52

I called Sumtoy today and talked with William about a choke for my short barreled 870. Sounds like that short barrel is harder to get to pattern as good as longer barrels.  
When all was said and done, he recommended that I start with a .650 and see how it does.

Anyone shot this size choke in their 870?

R AJ

I don't know if you are shooting #6 lead out of the 650 but the Win #6s like tight so with a short barrel and smaller lead shot William should have you at a good starting point. The shorter the barrel the tighter the choke in general.
This should be a great combo for the old white #6s if you can find any.
I would give the Win HV and the XX loads a try in #6s with this choke.
I have shot 655 in BPS and lead and smoked birds at 45 + yards  using Win lead #6 loads. This is in the 22.5" bbl with  an extended choke.

houser52

Quote from: RAJ on February 14, 2012, 07:29:12 PM
I don't know if you are shooting #6 lead out of the 650 but the Win #6s like tight so with a short barrel and smaller lead shot William should have you at a good starting point. The shorter the barrel the tighter the choke in general.
This should be a great combo for the old white #6s if you can find any.
I would give the Win HV and the XX loads a try in #6s with this choke.
I have shot 655 in BPS and lead and smoked birds at 45 + yards  using Win lead #6 loads. This is in the 22.5" bbl with  an extended choke.

Yep, Win HV #6 is what I'm going to try. I already have them and just waiting on the choke. I also have some
H13  3-2-7 and some old XX #5s to try through this choke too.
Think the .650 will be too tight for the H13 #7s?