turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2nd haint video ( outdoors )

Started by Bustabeak, February 11, 2012, 07:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustabeak

After a week of not having one to practice on I pick one up at Gabels Sporting Goods today ( and they are going to swap out the one I lost the reed out of as well)  and filmed a short clip of me trying it out side. Here in Georgia it was pretty cold and windy today  so excuse he wind sound if you can hear it. I still need some work on the gobble but its coming along. Let me know what you guys think I can do to make it more realistic. I personally  like the call and think it sounds great. So if you are on the fence about buying one I would say go for it. But again it might not be for everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS8r6AkEZhw

swampgobbler

video is set to private.... i can't see it

Bustabeak

Really? Man, let me see what i did. Sorry. I'll get it back up.

Bustabeak

Ok, try it now. I think I fixed it.

swampgobbler

it works.... sounds pretty good, but i think it's just a little too fast for my tastes.  if you sound like that after only 4 hours, you'll have it nailed in no time. 

golfernash

Sounds pretty good to me. I have a ways to go.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

300Mag

I was in there yesterday buying some DnD mouth calls and they were pushing that thing pretty hard.

TauntoHawk

is anyone else a little concerned that with 3 major companies DnD, Knight and Hale, and flextone all coming out with reeded gobble calls that soon everyone is going to be running around the woods gobbling like crazy at each other?

I mean I know most guys here will know the time and place for it, but I know ive been on hunts where I here guys move in on birds in the morning blowing an owl hooter and crow calls 25+ times in the first hour just to hear birds gobble on the roost so I know these same guys will buy a flextone at Dicks or wal-mart get a bird to gobble back at them and proceed to pull it out every 5min of a hunt and hammer on it.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bustabeak

Quoteis anyone else a little concerned that with 3 major companies DnD, Knight and Hale, and flextone all coming out with reeded gobble calls that soon everyone is going to be running around the woods gobbling like crazy at each other?

I mean I know most guys here will know the time and place for it, but I know ive been on hunts where I here guys move in on birds in the morning blowing an owl hooter and crow calls 25+ times in the first hour just to hear birds gobble on the roost so I know these same guys will buy a flextone at Dicks or wal-mart get a bird to gobble back at them and proceed to pull it out every 5min of a hunt and hammer on it.

Im with you. I hope that the people that do use them know when and where to use it. I have not killed a ton of turkeys and I've never used any type gobble to kill a turkey but if its the last resort I may pull it out of the bag.
Do you guys think a gobble call is that effective to use it in the woods? To be honest I don't know if I'd use it unless one is hung up with a bunch of hens. And I don't know if i'd use it then...... I just like that it sounds pretty realistic ( of course mine doesn't as of yet) in the woods.

yelpy

Well I was on the fence so I bit the bullet. It showed up in the mail today. It is easy to get sound out of the call but the hard part is controlling your tung flutter and pitch. I just can't seem to get the true sound yet. I am getting a higher pitched gobble at the moment. Will play more tommorrow.

Thanks Bustabeak.

Bustabeak

That is exactly what happened when I first got mine. I was blowing big strong burst of air and it would have a higher pitch. My biggest issue was like you said, slowing my tongue down to make it sound more realistic

I try and  use a lot less air than I think it should need  and  cup my hands a lot more  on the end of the gobble. It gives it a deeper sound IMO. I'm definitely glad I bought it. Like i said, I'm not sure if I'll ever use it in the woods  but I like the sound of it!

yelpy

Quote from: Bustabeak on February 17, 2012, 10:01:25 PM
That is exactly what happened when I first got mine. I was blowing big strong burst of air and it would have a higher pitch. My biggest issue was like you said, slowing my tongue down to make it sound more realistic

I try and  use a lot less air than I think it should need  and  cup my hands a lot more  on the end of the gobble. It gives it a deeper sound IMO. I'm definitely glad I bought it. Like i said, I'm not sure if I'll ever use it in the woods  but I like the sound of it!

Thanks for the tips. I think the call sounds real good in the Haint video's also. You are doing a fine job too. A little more practice you will have a perfect gobble.  :icon_thumright:

runngun

Sounded AWESOME you got it figured out. And yes it does have a place, on a hung up bird. Just would not use it on Public land cause you know what might just happen. Be careful with it or you will call up the wrong turkey.

Good luck and God Bless
        RAY
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

yelpy

2 more hours and getting no where!

Does anyone know if there video is worth buying or is it the same as the youtube video?

jaybird

There are several videos on Youtube on the Haint and I've watched them with no success. I even called DND they tried to help but were not successful. I've had this call for 2 months and have yet to get it to sound as advertised. They did not mention on their promo video about having to flutter your tongue otherwise I would have passed. Needless to say it has been a disappointment. This call sounds like a predator distress call.  >:(