OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tighter Choke?

Started by Neill_Prater, February 09, 2012, 06:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

I thought someone might give me an idea of what to expect from a choke I picked up today on clearance for my Stoeger 2000. My best patterns have been with the magnum blends and a .665 Pure Gold choke. I went into the clearance store at Bass Pro today, and they had a Tightwad in .655 for $18. I realize these chokes aren't considered on the par with chokelike the IC and Pure Gold, but for the price, I figured it was worth a try. It is too cold (for me, anyway) right now to pattern, so I'm thinking some of you might have an idea of what to expect with a choke this much tighter, especially with the blends? Thanks. Neill

reynolds243

Its not all about the exit diameter as much as the inside and exit together. I have a 650 and 670 sumtoy right now for my 2000 and they are both pretty close to the same with the 650 a tad better in numbers. I have shot a PG 670 and IC 665 and the sumtoy was better then both. I also had a JH 665 to start with and all the others listed shot better then it and some swear by that choke in a M2000. It was hard for me to understand why the 670 Sumtoy was so much better then the 670 PG in my gun but when you look at the guts of both they are way different.

On the 7's the sumtoy 670 shot on average 220-230 at 40
on the 7's the sumtoy 650 shot on average 240-250 at 40

670 sumtoy and 3.5" magblends from my 3500 went 203
650 Sumtoy and magblends went 218

PG 7's were around 200-210 and PG magblends were around 180.

Clark on here is someone good to ask about this subject as his comments on this topic got me to do more research into it.

That's just my gun and shells though your may be different. Oh and the 650 shot the magblends, 6 and 7 better then the others.