OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Chokes for turkey hunting -- Safety Reminder

Started by R AJ, February 03, 2012, 09:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R AJ

It is amazing at the choke options in modern times. Now we see some new or beginner turkey hunters wanting to know if they can hunt turkeys with a full choke, lead vs. HTL , etc.
More often than not the  immediate answer is that you have to use a custom choke at least XXX full ,blah blah blah, HS,TSS, Tung/Berillium/whatever the latest sen or  illium there is...
Some people wonder how turkeys were ever killed using lead and fixed chokes whether they be extra full, full, modified ,or heaven forbid , an improved cylinder. In almost every instance this was all that was available or affordable at the time. There were poly chokes but nothing like what is available now.
The way most turkeys fell to these combinations was that the hunter called the turkey in to a distance so close that it didn't matter. The turkey was within range of the load and choke capabilities of the gun.
I called a turkey for a first timer back in the 70's and I could feel the ground shake when the turkey drummed. The gun , a 20 gauge O/U 2 3/4" fired and there was complete silence. I looked around the longleaf pine I was sitting against and there  lay a beautiful gobbler with wings spread and the fan still working to a close and hens just staring at the fallen strutter. Never flopped. The choke selected was imp cyl for the six step shot using lead #6s.
A Browning 32"full choke , Win Model 12 30" full choke, Rem 870 30" FC , etc. were the turkey guns that were most familiar to me in the 60s and 70s era. 3" guns were not really common.Lots of 12 gauge 2 3/4" modified chokes with #6s were used. Most turkeys in the piney woods were shot at no more than 30 yards back then and perhaps the aim point may have been a little more at the base of the neck on the longer shots but this arrangement was very suitable for turkey hunting. The real enjoyment then was in calling 'em in close and enjoying watching them put on a show during courting and mating rituals.
So, can a hunter still kill a turkey using a fixed choke and lead loads? An emphatic yes from me but please do your home work and know the limitations of the gun, choke, load , and what the pattern is like on the gun you have before you hunt. Whenever a giant gobbler comes down the lane to you it can appear to be closer than it actually is. Use some point of reference from your position so that when it does appear you will be able to estimate the distance with confidence. I have never heard of anyone who stated that they thought it was 20 yards and it was actually 40. Finally , be absolutely, positively, without a doubt of your target and anything beyond it before shooting. Too many accidents are caused by shots into movement behind a tree or bush. Everything red or white in the woods is not a turkey.
There is no game animal on earth worth the risk of injuring or killing another person in the woods. It happens too often every year. Safety first , enjoy the outdoors to its fullest. There is something to appreciate and experience each trip.

joker

Yes, Always good to be reminded to be safe and respect the animals you hunt!

ericjames

This is a true statement I cant tell you how many birds have fallen to a 2 3/4 high power #6 out of a factory full fixed choke out of my olf gun. It is easy to get caught up in the htl game witch is one of the best things that happened to turkey hunting but with that said. Like RAJ said just be safe and have fun I think I am gonna go back to lead this year, last year the farest shot I made was 30 steps and 2 were under 5 steps from the choke. But I think I have some of the thickest woods around..

Wycliff

chatterbox

callwinner11

just the typical world... everybody wants to be the big dog and have the best thing going.. i can do this better than you.. my gun cost,, my truck has a 44" tires .. blah  blah
we all forget how simple life was years ago
great post and everybody have a great season