News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How'd deer season go

Started by dirt road ninja, February 02, 2012, 02:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirt road ninja

How'd ya'lls deer season go?

Mine was slow. Didn't get to hunt as much as I normally do. My son sits with 90 percent of the time and we always seem to have one get by us. He's not ready for shots at walking deer or thru brush yet. I won't shoot one while he is with me. I let him shoot them all. This year he killed a nice 10 pt early and a small nubby. I only killed a bobcat, but was able to pass on a few deer that will be studs next year.

davisd9

Had a great year this year.  Seen more bucks this year than I have ever seen in a deer stand.  Killed the biggest 6 point I ever see this year and a small doe and another decent 6 point.  There were two other good bucks that I regret not shooting now, but I killed the big opening day and seen the other two bucks on the same day the next week.  

Killed the small doe with my little cousin.  He is in 8th grade I believe and just started showing interest in hunting.  Took him with me and shot it.  I normally would not have shot her but I wanted to get him excited about the sport.

Congratulations to your son on the 10 point and the other he got!

He is on a full size Chevy Z-71:
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

M,Yingling

Congrats to u son thats fine looking deer ,,
This been the worst season i have had in a long time normally get aleast 2 deer a year ,,Big zero this year ,,Not sure if i wasnt feeling it or what but i put some time in ..........Man i miss that jerky LOL
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

davisd9

Hate to hear that M, Yingling.  It stinks when you put in the time and not get one.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

WNY Bowhunter

Congrats to your son on a great looking buck!!!

My season wasn't too bad I guess.  Didn't put any antlers on the wall (passed up the small bucks as usual) but managed to fill the freezer with several slickheads...

"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

davisd9

Those are some big ole slickheads you got.  Congratulations!

WNY Bowhunter

I'm very excited about several of the prospects that made it through season.

This guy should be a STUD this year...

This awesome 2.5 year old was the #1 deer on my "please don't get killed list".  I can't wait to see what he turns into this summer!!!

This buck is another beautiful 2.5 year old that made a great jump from his first set of antlers.  It'll be interesting to see what he does this year...

tcook7

WOW I would lose lots of sleep over that double drop buck next year!  And davis is right man, those does are HUGE!

I had a decent season in that I saw lots of deer and some up and comers that will hopefully stick around next season.  I killed this 8 point, which was the biggest deer I had a camera and a pretty good SC buck, and some does with the bow.

WNY Bowhunter

davisd9

The buck closest to the camera in the first picture is a brute.  Love the double drop time also.  WOW!  :drool:

WNY Bowhunter

That 6-pt is definately a shooter.  Congrats!

dirt road ninja

WNY Bowhunter,

I would not have guessed NY had deer like that. I've met a few guys from New York and New Jersey while hunting in the mid-west and none of them ever killed critters like you've got at home. The drop tine deer looks to be a 2.5 year old maybe 3.5. If he makes it another 2 years he might go over 180". The turkey pic's you posted all looked huge as well.

C J Stahly

For the first time in a long time I shot 0 deer this season.  Killed a couple of hogs, but no deer. With that said it wasn't because of a lack of opportunities.  I had more deer in bow range this year than I have had in a long time...or ever probably.  I just chose not to shoot.  Even though I harvested no deer it was one of my best/ most fun seasons ever. 

trkehunr93

I put one doe in the freezer during early muzzleloader, missed one during our firearms season and made a bad hit on a doe during late archery that I never recovered  >:(.  The highlight was my son's first deer.  He killed this doe on Nov. 19th at 7:25A with his newly purchased H&R youth .243.  I was one proud papa and told my wife that if I did not kill another deer all season it didn't matter because he was able to get his first.  He had put in his time and had already missed one doe with his crossbow and the weekend before he killed this doe we had a comedy of errors in the same stand as we had a doe and a spike walk well within bow range only to have them walk straight at us and never present a shot and when they did we got busted trying to get his crossbow moved.  As far as bucks I never saw one worth shooting all season.  Here is Jayden's first deer

davisd9

THere is nothing better than seeing a child with their first deer.  A big CONGRATULATIONS!  Good sized doe.

What bullet did he use in his .243 win?  I shoot the Barnes TTSX 85 grain when I take my .243.