Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Grand Slam in a single season....Realistic?

Started by bigyank, January 30, 2012, 08:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigyank

I have recently decided to try a Grand Slam in a single season. I'm not sure why. Just up for a challenge, I guess! I was wondering if anyone had accomplished this feat, or am I being unrealistic by thinking this is a possibility? I know Eddie Salter did it in 4 days. But, by no means, am I him or a celebrity! I am not rich by most people's standards. So, money will play a part in this. I usually afford myself a hunting trip every year, by saving and doing plenty of research. This will be done by self-guided for Osceola and Eastern's. I will more than likely use an outfitter for Rio's and Merriam's, being that I am not that familiar with the public land situation out west.

I plan on returning to Florida and hunting some of my old stomping grounds for Osceola's, which I believe will be my most difficult bird to take. Then, I can hunt Eastern's in both Ohio and western Iowa (double my chance for success). The hunt for the other two (2) species will be done on about a 6-8 day trip through Kansas and Nebraska/South Dakota. That is my plan so far!

So if anyone would like to offer advice or if I am missing something, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

TRKYHTR

Sounds like you have the 2 hardest parts of the slam already taken care of. I would hit KS for the Rio and SD BH for the Merriam. There is enough WIHA in KS to kill a Rio and alot of Merriams in the SD Black Hills for a DIY hunts. Put a little time in checking out the KS WIHA and talk the the DNR. I can give you some info on Merriams in SD if you want to do a DIY hunt there. Good luck,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Jay

GobblerD, who use to be on this forum, was one Eastern short of 2 grand slams this year. Living in Florida helped, so he could get his Osceolas out of the way earlier. Than a Texas, Nebraska, Illinois run to get his Slam. 2 Osceolas, 2 Rios,  2 merriams, followed with an Eastern. Lay out your trip well, and you'll get done if every thing clicks.I could have had my slam this year without too much trouble, if it had been a goal after starting with 2 Osceolas.

turkey slayer

Good luck! One of these days I plan on being able to save up enough time,and money to do the same.

deerhunt1988

I managed a single season public land slam in 2010.  Osceola in Florida, then eastern in MS (my home state), then a Merriam's in the Black Hills of SD, then a Rio in Kansas.

We are going to try it again this year but hit up Nebraska instead of SD for the Merriam's.

GobbleNut

I believe there are many people that have done the grand slam in a single season,...probably hundreds.  I did the royal slam (all five subspecies) one spring a while back.  It is not that difficult if a person has the time and a little cash.  It is still a worthy accomplishment for a dedicated turkey hunter, though.  Good luck with your quest.

Singlebarrel

Very doable!  I, along with 3 of my buddies did it in 2010.  2 of the guys actually killed a "double" Grand Slam - 2 birds of each species.  Good luck!

dirt road ninja

I wish I had the time off to try it. Successful or not, it sounds like a fun adventure.

pullit

I need to go to FL to finish mine, just not sure it is going to happen this year due to work.
Yes it can be done, it just cost money and time....

Cove

It's very 'doable' with a lot of planning and a bit of determination. I've gotten a single season slam on pubic land the last 3 years. If you have the Osceola situated into your schedule already then an out west Rio/Merriam run shouldn't stand in your way. Osceola's are most often the determining factor.

bigyank

Yes, I believe the Osceola is going to be the hardest! Would like to do a public land slam, but I just can't decide to do for a Rio. Probably use an outfitter (self-guided) for that particular bird. And, time will be an issue. I am trying to negotiate an additional weeks vacation at work right now. That is probably my biggest determining factor at the moment!

Ebby

I've killed 3 single season slams and 2 Double Single Slams. Easily done if you have the Osceola. I've killed the other 3 every year since 2006. We hunt KS for the Rios and NE or SD for the Merriam. I've also killed Rios in OK. We are hunting OK, TX, KS, and CO this year. I'm also going to slip down to FL again this year so hopefully I'll get a another SS slam. We end up paying about $1200 per person total (meals, lodging, gas, tags, etc.) for our birds in KS and NE and SD.

Lee

Tail Feathers

You have a sound plan there.  I agree that the Osceola may be the toughest one to get.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

GSLAM95

Good luck as it is a very rewarding experience and it sounds like your on the right track, the early trip planning is the key.  I did my first single season slam in 95 and was short a Merriams for a double slam because I did not plan well enough.  No outfitters no guides and camped out of the back of my truck.  With gas prices back then I did the entire slam on $1600 which is unrealistic today.
There are several guys on here that have now done it and I am sure they will agree it is all well worth the sacrifices you will make to get it accomplished.

Ebby, Covehnter, Singlebarrel, deerhunt1988, GobblerD and anyone else that I may have missed I would like to again say congratulations!
Good luck this spring....GSLAM95

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.