turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Difficult situation. I need help.

Started by wisconsinteacher, January 28, 2012, 07:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodsman4God

Two things I see, first of all I agree with Boff, time with your wife is more important, so tell him if you and your wife want to go out together this trip is just for my honey and me.

Financially even if he makes more than you it doesnt mean he has more. Youthful indiscretion could have lead to bigger bills than you know about for either he or his wife, school bills etc... So dont look at it like he has more cassh than you he might not, after that just be honest and tell him you enjoy him along for the ride but you cant afford to keep paying for everything.

TheWidowMaker

I agree with the other guys. Just be straight and to the point no need to dance around. He could just be the type that thinks "hey he always gets it and never asks for anything" SOme people are just wired that way.

Jay

Agree with he probably hasn't thought about chipping in. Some people don't. I remember one of my sons getting invited on a fishing/camping trip with his friends parents. First thing I told him was to do MORE than his share of camp chores, and he might get invited back. Years later when we go on our Canada fishing trips myself, same son, and his son all jump in on the chores. It's how you are raised.  ;D This year now that that the grandson is 18 with a job, he's already been told it's time to contibute financially to the trip besides chores.

Neill_Prater

I don't necessarily agree with all the other guys have replied. The guy is a moocher. I've known more than one in my life, and if you two are on basically the same socio-economic plane, then he should be carrying his load. If the guy is intelligent enough to hold down a job, I don't believe he doesn't realize he isn't contributing. He just doesn't choose to do so. You can blame it on upbringing, etc, etc, but it all comes down to character, and I'm guessing his isn't going to change, so you need to decide if his companionship is worth it. Since you posted on here, it is obviously becoming a sore point with you, so I'm guessing it isn't.

I have a friend that I hunted with a lot back in the 1980's. He's a great guy, and we had tons of fun together, but he is was always a moocher. I knew it, but enjoyed his company, so I decided to basically ignore it. It was big things, and small things. We'd virtually always take my vehicle. I didn't mind that so much, because I generally had a more dependable one, but it never occurred to him to pitch in on the gas. I was always hungry, so I'd usually stop somewhere for a burger. He would never have any cash with him, so I'd buy his meal as well. If we went a long distance, he'd have money, but if we stopped to eat, he never one time insisted on paying for mine as well. We'd get out in Kansas turkey hunting, and he'd only have a couple of shells with him, so he'd "borrow" some from me, never one time offering to pay for them. We haven't hunted together for several years now, and he has fallen on hard times due to some health issues. I still consider him a friend, but to be honest, if I had it to do over again, I would not let him take advantage of me the way he did, because in retrospect, I don't feel as if he treated me with the same respect I afforded him.

Personally, I'd cut the guy loose.