only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Xtended vs Federal Heavyweight

Started by agturkey, January 25, 2012, 02:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agturkey

Federal Heavyweight vs Winchester Xtended Range

R AJ

For starters Fed shot is denser and the shell has a flite control wad.
12 ga Fed is red shade - Win XR is black.
Both are very acceptable loads .

R AJ

It seems crazy to me that Fed 20 gauge has 1 1/2 oz. of #7s and the 12 only has 1 5/8 oz.  Go figure.

mcgruff1533

Given the two choices, I'd go with XRHD any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

While the Federal Heavyweight is around 15 grams/ CC, it's loaded with that darned Flite Control Wad.

At 12 grams/ cc, Winchester XRHD patterns about on par with Hevi 13 (actually around 12 grams/ CC as well).   

Mimosa Gobbler

PG Tempest choke for FHW #7's. Great pattern

"My cup is always half full because I have already drank the other half!"

dawgfrombama

I use the XRHD 6's.  I've had good luck with them and seen complete pass throughs with that load.  So penetration is not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

PALongspur

I think Federal would have the best load, hands down if it did away with the FCW. I tried several Heavyweight shells in both 3" and 3 1/2" in both of my guns and wasn't happy with pattern density.

Until they offer a standard shell loaded with Heavyweight shot I'll continue to crush heads with Winchester XRHD.

nyhunter

I wonder what year Federal will realize there loosing allot of potential costumer's  and go back to what they used before when they were on top as far as turkey loads.

Reloader

Buffer wouldnt hurt the HW loads either. The HWs I've seen cut open had no buffer.

The Cohutta Strutter

Quote from: nyhunter on January 27, 2012, 10:27:13 AM
I wonder what year Federal will realize there loosing allot of potential costumer's  and go back to what they used before when they were on top as far as turkey loads.
X2, was hoping the change would be this year. Can the Federal Heavyweight shot be purchased by itself if one wanted to reload it?
Anybody seen America lately?

The Cohutta Strutter

The Cohutta Strutter

Longshanks

Rem 870/ hastings .665 Fed HW 7's.  200+ in 10 in circle @ 40. (3in) 

Win XR 6's (3in)  patterns weren't significantly better than lead. Shot this load through a number of chokes.

Just my experience with them. :newmascot:

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase