OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SNAKE BOOTS

Started by REBELYELL, January 22, 2012, 05:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

REBELYELL

Well, it's time to replace another pair of Rocky snake boots after three years of hard hunting. Of course they started leaking during the first Spring I hunted in them, which has been the norm for every pair I owned. Luckily, I have never been struck, but they give me a security blanket when chasing birds in the Spring and our woods are full of rattlers and cottonmouths. Not only do they leak, but they are not real comfortable either, especially covering alot of ground. I am wanting to get another brand this year and I am leaning towards the Danner Pronghorns after reading so many positive comments about them on here. I have also been looking at some Chippewa snake boots, but I have no feedback on them. I like the fact that they are a slip on style, which would be a major selling feature to me. But, I have no idea about the comfort level with them. Has anyone ever wore this boot or another Chippewa?

http://www.chippewaboots.com/boots/snake_boots/25110

tiggere

this will be the third year in my Rocky's...no issues with them but I can assure you my next pair will be zip ups...

REBELYELL

Quote from: tiggere on January 22, 2012, 05:06:26 AM
this will be the third year in my Rocky's...no issues with them but I can assure you my next pair will be zip ups...

If I were to go back with another pair of Rocky boots, I would try one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Mossy-Oak-Footwear-MO2028-Waterproof/dp/B005P7WPIS

http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-Details/9895/1600FQ0001580/Rocky-ProLight-Waterproof-SnakeProof-Boot/

tiggere

Once everyone in the house gets up I will go pull mine out of the closet to see what style they are...I wear them all the time and they are very comfortable...the only issue is the laces take FOREVER to tie...I'm too cheap to go buy another pair until these fall apart :P...

Neill_Prater

Hey, take a look at the Redhead brand sold through Bass Pro, specifically the ones with the zipper. I absolutely love mine. So much so, in fact, I have 3 pairs. Every time I catch them on sale, I buy another pair. The zipper, is, in my opinion, the best thing since sliced bread. Makes them extremely easy to put on, and, more importantly, take off. No grunting and groaning like you have to do with most rubber boots, and certainly much easier and faster than laces.

I also like mine in hot weather, because, like all boots, they can be a little hot, but with the zippers, when you set up to call, or set down to listen for a while, you can just yank the zippers all the way down and let your feet breathe, something you can't do with lace-up boots.

I've never had an issue with mine leaking. I use Mink oil or the equivalent on the leather portions, and spray the Cordura portions liberally with silicone waterproofing a couple of times each season. Yes, I know, they are Gore-Tex, but most every GT boot I've owned eventually leaks if you don't keep them externally waterproofed. I've waded water with mine right up to the tops with no problems. Neill

pseshooter300

I got a pair of rocky snake boots I haven't had any trouble out of them yet hunted with them pretty hard last spring
Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

runngun

The ones I wear are the Rocky Aztecs love'em.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

TrkyHntr

I got me a pair of the lacrosse adder snake boots during bow season. I've wore them all deer season with no issues so far. I've been in water a lot with them. They are very comfortable for long walks. I caught them on sale for $100, they run $140-$150 regular price.

Shane

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Neill_Prater on January 22, 2012, 11:44:27 AMHey, take a look at the Redhead brand sold through Bass Pro
My first pair of snake boots were Chippewas. They were heavy and leaked BAD!!
Next 2 pairs were Rockys. They both leaked not long after I bought them.
Last 2 pairs were Redhead knockoffs of the Rockys. Both of them lasted 2-3 years before starting to leak. I would recommend the Redheads. Every bit as light weight, comfortable, and more durable than the Rockys, and they were almost half the price.

Trevor2

Mine are the 15" rocky rattlesnake, not zipup, started leaking in the first year, not sure how many years I have had had them now but have been struck once no penetration. But wont own rockys again. Both pair I own leak like crazy.
Strutstopper

SKFOOTER

Danner Pronghorn GTX.  Nuf said!! :happy0064:

Neill_Prater

A little disclaimer. I looked up the Redhead boots on the Bass Pro site today, just to see what the regular price is now ($139), and read several unflattering reviews, most in the last year, concerning the soles coming apart in a short time. I've never had this problem with mine, and have worn my oldest pair quite a bit. That said, apparently they had some issues with this for at least a period of time, hopefully that has been resolved.

REBELYELL

I will probaly regret it, but for the money and easiness to take them on and off, I had to give these a try. Found some on closeout for $105.

Rocky MO2028 size zip   

Beretta686

Russell Moccasin

http://russellmoccasin.com/boots_turkeyhunter/boots_turkeyhunter.html

Bought my first pair in 94 and wore them until 2005 when I had my hip replaced. Yes you have to take care of them, but they will last a lifetime. The only reason I had to replace them after 2005 was because my old pair had 5/8" lift in them for the shortness of my leg. After the hip replacement, my leg was lengthened.

I bought a pair of Rocky snake boots that first year. They leaked after 3 weeks and would not warranty them. Spoke with Rocky and they build their boots for the "average Sportsman" that will use them 3 or 4 weekends a season and should last 3-4 years. So in other words if I wear them every day, I will get the expected life out of them in less than one season.

I had my foot measured again at the next convention they were at and had a new pair of beets made. I also ordered a couple of pairs of shoes.

Hands down, by far the most comfortable and long lasting snake boot. I would be still wearing the first pair if I had not had my hip replaced and they were made in 1994.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

HartClemson99

I agree with the gentleman concerning Russell boots.  I bought a pair in 2000 and they are ready for their 13th season!
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion" Tom Kelly, The Tenth Legion, 1973