OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

How many here are "Pro Staffers" for call makers or other hunting equipment?

Started by rempumpman, January 21, 2012, 05:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rempumpman

Just would like to know how many of you have been named pro staffers for hunting companies; I guide 2 weeks a year for 2 different outfitters and would love to know how I can become a a pro staffer for a turkey call company; I hunt alot and kill alot of birds each year and would like to become one; thank you for any information;

Barry aka...........rem
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

Ol'Mossy

simpzenith

Most have a application process. Contact the company that you would like to promote and go from there.

Wingbone

It can be really difficult to break into the pro staff arena if you don't have a name, i.e. Calling champion, t.v. Personality, outdoor writer, etc. Most companies look for pro staff that are either true experts in a certain type of hunting or a very likable t.v. puppet. Everybody else gets the deals because of the "it's all about who you know" policy. I was lucky enough to join a half dozen prostaffs when I was guiding hunting and fishing trips back in college, but it was all thanks to the outfitter I worked for. The owner was a Big Name in the industry, so if he recommended me for one, it was as good as done. However, once I graduated and drifted away from guiding, I managed to keep a few as I had started writing freelance for newspapers and magazines. I quit writing a couple years ago, and have since lost the perks of the industry.

My advice would be to go to the big shows and call competitions and make some friends. Invite them to hunt with you. Those types of situations can get you into the industry, and if you ever can pick up one
company, others will be much easier to acquire. Good luck.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

BigGobbler

I am the Owner, Call Maker, and the hunting field tester of the company so what would that make my title  "Pro Owner".  LOL

bird

Contrary to most persceptions.  Pro-Staff does not stand for "Professional" Staff but rather "Promotional" Staff Member.  It's not really about how good a person really is but rather about how much a person can "Promote" or "Sell" for said company no matter how good or bad said companies product or services may be.  In my honest opinion, completely overrated in many cases.

bird

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

mcgruff1533

Quite honestly, I don't much care for pro-staffers when it comes to pushing products.     They're either being paid, or are receiving free/ reduced cost products to spread the word about the said product.    Some pro staffers are polite and tactful, while a good majority of them are the "in your face" type.    They're observed spamming forum type websites, and are hocking the wares of their handlers.   

If the OP does end up becoming a pro staffer for a company, please don't be the latter type.    You'll run off potential customers, and send them packing to other companies who produce similar products.

I'd much rather buy products based on reviews given from people who have paid for the item with their own, hard-earned green backs.     It's easy to recommend anything when it didn't cost you a single dime of your own money.    I'm much more likely to trust a person's opinion if they bought the product themselves.

Old Gobbler

The term "pro staffer " is so loosely brandished about , it is on the verge of being meaningless - reminds me of the word "free" in cell phone minutes, as symbolic only in gesture and not backed up with substance. Its almost a disgrace to the folks that are genuine professionally endorsed hunters and the other good folks doing it .

"Prostaff notations" in a profile sig  ,are increasingly under close scrutiny in most internet hunting forums -- to the point they are barred in some other places  because of rampant abuse .

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Turkey Trot

Quote from: Old Gobbler on January 22, 2012, 02:51:35 PM
The term "pro staffer " is so loosely brandished about , it is on the verge of being meaningless - reminds me of the word "free" in cell phone minutes, as symbolic only in gesture and not backed up with substance. Its almost a disgrace to the folks that are genuine professionally endorsed hunters and the other good folks doing it .

"Prostaff notations" in a profile sig  ,are increasingly under close scrutiny in most internet hunting forums -- to the point they are barred in some other places  because of rampant abuse .

Is it OK if I change my profile to read "Old Gobbler Pro Staffer"?

Maybe have some T-shirt, hats, and stickers made up?

:TooFunny:
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

rempumpman

Thank all of you for your responses; after reading them, I guess it would be better just to keep hunting and killing these birds on MY terms instead of someone else's; I have seen that when one turns a hunting passion into a "job" it seems that all of the fun goes out the window;

Thank all of you for a reality check..................rem
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

TRKYHTR

I have been on the Mossy Oak Prostaff for 3 years. As a prostaffers were are supposed to go to 10 events a year and support Mossy Oak. During the last 3 years I have seen those "professional prostaffers" and they turn my stomach. They try to get on every prostaff they can and most wouldn't know which way was up on a shotgun or have ever killed much. They want to think they are a professional but couldn't answer a question about a turkey hunt to save their lives. If I didn't use and believe in Mossy Oak I wouldn't be a prostaffer. As a prostaffer I get a break on items that are sponsors of Mossy Oak. I get a break on stuff like Remington guns, Browning, Leupold, etc etc... I have used a few but not many. I get to purchase 2 guns for each Rem and Browning at about half price and in 3 years I bought 2. I also got a few other things for preasants and for my son. I usually teach turkey hunting seminars every year at our local Bass Pro shop so this is where I do most of my events. If I didn't like teaching people how to turkey hunt I would not be a prostaffer for MO. But since there are more people in CA that have no clue how to turkey hunt I have my work cut out for me. I was just at a sportshow in Sacramento CA for 4 days with my turkey call company, Mother Lode Turkey calls. In 4 days I talked to 2 turkey hunters. One of which was from MO but now resides in CA. Not one that I talked to could tell me the name of the turkey call they used much less whether it had 2 or 3 reeds or what the cutts looked like. Not 1 person had ever seen a trumpet, tube call or scratch box much less knew how to use one. One guy wanted to know why I was selling a crack pipe (Trumpet) in the convention. I did see one guy that I had taught an all day seminar to that had killed 4 turkeys, called in 2 for other people and had taken a kid on his first turkey hunt, all since the seminar I had taught. This is the reason I do it.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.