News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Hunting Tips

Started by SonicBanshee, January 19, 2012, 10:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkehunr93

Quote from: jakesdad on January 19, 2012, 01:26:57 PM
P            A             T            I              E            N             C                E!!!!!!!!I believe lack of patience saves more gobblers necks than anything else.

Couldn't agree more! :icon_thumright:

gunnerj

I like the 3 p's. Position is especially important. Do your scouting, figure out where they are roosting, and set up as close as you dare without getting busted in the morning. I like to be within 100 yards. I'm sneaking in at 0 dark 30. Remember turkeys can see in the dark and only sleep about 10 minutes a night.  :anim_25:

DMP

Pay attention to detail. 

If your wearing white socks, make sure your pants don't ride up so much when you sit down that your socks are showing.

If you wear a watch, make sure your gloves and sleeve keep it covered. 

Just something to think about.

pastor

Know the land, know how the turkeys use the land, and hunt slow. You cannot rush a turkey so if you don't have time then back out and hunt him another day when you have time. This especially holds true with older birds.
Jer. 29:11

hunts4ever

My opinion theres no substitute for scouting. you can pattern them same as you can deer or any other game bird or animal. find the roost the night before and if possible set up between a gobbler and his hens or atleast closer to him. Get in there way before  daylight so youll have plenty of time to be sneaky and quiet! Those are the lightest sleepin birds ever and they hear everything. good luck!

JohnnieB

Don't forget the bug dope and the Thermacell.

Trevor2

Do not over call! If you do they will eventually become call shy.
Strutstopper

ccleroy

Quote from: Trevor2 on February 05, 2012, 10:09:08 AM

What is this call shy stuff you speak of?

FullChoke

Understand your quarry. Become a student of the bird and read everything that you can get your hands on about the wild turkey. Notice I didn't say watch a video. The majority of videos are made by someone with something to sell and represent varying levels of theatrics and product placement. Throw yourself on the mercy of an old turkey hunter and beg him to teach you how to hunt them. Promise on your mother's life that you will never reveal any of the places that he takes you to. If you have a place with turkeys, ask him to come with you to your property and show you how he would hunt them and have him briefly explain why he makes the decisions that he does at the time that he does.

Be an avid and good student, respect the birds, hunt ethically. Good luck.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Trevor2

Quote from: ccleroy on February 05, 2012, 10:12:38 AM
Quote from: Trevor2 on February 05, 2012, 10:09:08 AM

What is this call shy stuff you speak of?
Educating birds with overvaluing or bad calling. Ever tried to call in a bird on public land where everybody under the sun has threw every call they have at a bird. Even though their brain is the size of a peanut they are smart and will learn.
Strutstopper

Ol'Mossy

Not only be patient but be still. Don't search for a turkey moving your head use your eyes only. When you see one coming and you have your gun on your lap, wait until he gets his head behind a tree then raise your gun. If there's no trees around you're screwed.  :laugh:

WildSpur

When running and gunning or trolling for birds make sure you have a tree you can jump to before you give out a call.  Nothing like haveing a bird holler back from 100 yards without a set-up!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Trevor2

Quote from: PaTurkHntr on February 07, 2012, 05:14:58 AM
Not only be patient but be still. Don't search for a turkey moving your head use your eyes only. When you see one coming and you have your gun on your lap, wait until he gets his head behind a tree then raise your gun. If there's no trees around you're screwed.  :laugh:
Not completely screwed. If you are luckily enough to have one blow up and twist to where his fan hides his head your back in the game. Hope all these great tips help.
Strutstopper

joker

When you use a mouth call keep reed savers between the reeds when not in your mouth. Take an eye dropper bottle full if water with you to weten between the reeds befor you put it back in your mouth. I can't believe how many people use thick single reed calls because all the reeds are stuck together. When they call they sound like a hurt seal.

joker

Get a rangefinder and use it!!!!!