Main Menu

Vest or Back-pack

Started by ThicketThrasher, January 08, 2012, 04:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

socalturkeyman

A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

ThicketThrasher

I'm not going on vacation either but being out all day and usually miles from the truck or any form of civilization makes bringing alot of extra stuff necessary. Especially food. I hardly ever come out for lunch and I don't like being hungry, so I take plenty. Couple that with a tripod and camera. It just doesn't carry well in a vest. I actually had not thought about my seat cushion on my vest. I will have to figure out something on that because I love my cushion.

cannonball

I use a vest and a small water bladder back pack.

Eric Gregg

When I first started all that I had was a back pack. I finally got a vest and glad that I did. I have also invested in Ol Tom products that eliminate the need for a vest. I love em, fits my type of hunting real well.

I like the easy access of a vest.

Newram05

I used a pack last year and got a vest this year. But I do like the fannypack/vest combo idea!

customgunsocks

Dont forget about out pot call pouch, box call pouch, andstriker roll up pouches and backpacks.

chatterbox

Quote from: ThicketThrasher on January 08, 2012, 09:01:17 PM
I'm not going on vacation either but being out all day and usually miles from the truck or any form of civilization makes bringing alot of extra stuff necessary. Especially food. I hardly ever come out for lunch and I don't like being hungry, so I take plenty. Couple that with a tripod and camera. It just doesn't carry well in a vest. I actually had not thought about my seat cushion on my vest. I will have to figure out something on that because I love my cushion.

How about a seat cushion that attatches to your belt? Not as good as a vest seat, but they do work.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteA vest just doesn't seem to tote all that stuff very comfortably.

Agreed.  I have a belt-style rig, with several zipper-open call pouches attached.  Worn behind you, instead of in front of you, it acts as a counter-balance for a big belly.....that is, if you have one. :santaclaus:

woodwzrd

I do a lot of run and gun hunting and I used to use a fanny pack and a mule camelback with the extra storage compartments to carry all my stuff. Last year I bought a vest and I wore a smaller hydration pack under the vest. I wish I would have bought the vest years ago.

paintbrush

Strictly a vest for me. Seems to hold everything I need or want to lug around. Always seem to carry to much stuff around I don't use anyways with just a vest. If I used a back-pack, I'm sure I'd lug around even more stuff. ;D

customgunsocks

Were also in the process of making one of our backpacks geared around turkey hunting instead of a general back pack. I have it half done. On the inside of the pack,,, the one side panel has a compartnebt to store the largest thermos or a hydration pack, the oposite side panel has a box call holder,2 pot call holders. on the side that is up against the back I have a striker roll up pouch and beside that a trifold mouth call folder, on the inside facing outside I am putting pockets for whatever.
On the outside of the pack, I am putting a padded fold down seat. I might put one of our compound bow slings on the side of the outside to carry a bow, not sure. If I ever get it done, I will post pics, I have a feeling my wife has already claimed this one.

TauntoHawk

for me the perfect combo is my Ol' Tom vestless shirt and a backpack. (badlands Ultraday)

shirt carries my two favorite pot calls and two stikers on my chest and has two bungee cords for locator calls. Mouth calls in the left cargo pocket of my pants and range finder on the right. Those are the essentials I need with minimal movement but keeps it simple and light.

backpack has box call, extra stikers, water, snacks, decoys and stakes, seat, packable rain wear if theres a chance of getting wet, gps.. facemask and gloves will also go in here

carries the weight a lot better than a vest
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ThicketThrasher

Quote from: customgunsocks on January 09, 2012, 08:43:20 AM
Were also in the process of making one of our backpacks geared around turkey hunting instead of a general back pack. I have it half done. On the inside of the pack,,, the one side panel has a compartnebt to store the largest thermos or a hydration pack, the oposite side panel has a box call holder,2 pot call holders. on the side that is up against the back I have a striker roll up pouch and beside that a trifold mouth call folder, on the inside facing outside I am putting pockets for whatever.
On the outside of the pack, I am putting a padded fold down seat. I might put one of our compound bow slings on the side of the outside to carry a bow, not sure. If I ever get it done, I will post pics, I have a feeling my wife has already claimed this one.
That sounds like it may be exactly like what I need. Keep us informed on your progress.

Neill_Prater

Quote from: njdevilsb on January 08, 2012, 08:11:50 PMI've never used that part anyway.  There's nothing like slinging one over your shoulder for the walk out.

This must be a New York thing. My buddy Al is from Rochester, and he'll carry a bird two miles over his shoulder instead of putting it in his vest.  :) Neill

C J Stahly

I am thinking about using the fannypack as my vest and jsut making it work because of the heat by the end of the season.