turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Weight for Lead Slead DFT

Started by BHhunter, December 14, 2011, 04:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BHhunter

For those of you using Lead Sleds, what are you using for weight and how much? I don't reload and was kind of shocked to see $40 for a bag of lead shot. Looking for an alternative and curious how much weight is actually needed. I will be shooting my Mossy 935 and a Win Model 70 .30-06 from it.

HogBiologist

couple of small sand bags.  I shoot at a local range (public) and use 2 or 3 of their small sand bags.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

hookedspur

Quote from: LaBiologist on December 14, 2011, 04:41:23 PM
couple of small sand bags.  I shoot at a local range (public) and use 2 or 3 of their small sand bags.
Same here .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

devin4484

wheel weights is what my uncle used and ill be doing the same around 12/25 lol.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: BHhunter on December 14, 2011, 04:13:54 PM
For those of you using Lead Sleds, what are you using for weight and how much? I don't reload and was kind of shocked to see $40 for a bag of lead shot. Looking for an alternative and curious how much weight is actually needed. I will be shooting my Mossy 935 and a Win Model 70 .30-06 from it.

I'd recommend as little as possible and use it only for sighting-in your gun. Too much weight and too many shots can create some problems.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BHhunter

Quote from: allaboutshooting on December 14, 2011, 07:10:23 PM

I'd recommend as little as possible and use it only for sighting-in your gun. Too much weight and too many shots can create some problems.

Thanks,
Clark
I'm curious now, what kind of problems from too much weight?

Deputy 14

Using too much weight on a lead sled or other shooting rest of that style will not allow the firearm to move enough rearward to dissipate the energy from the recoil.  It will cause the stock to absorb all the energy and put to much strain on it. Could result in bolt or receiver damage or a busted stock.  :policeman:

BHhunter

Quote from: Deputy 14 on December 14, 2011, 07:40:20 PM
Using too much weight on a lead sled or other shooting rest of that style will not allow the firearm to move enough rearward to dissipate the energy from the recoil.  It will cause the stock to absorb all the energy and put to much strain on it. Could result in bolt or receiver damage or a busted stock.  :policeman:
That makes sense. Thanks

gobbler74

I like around 10-12 lbs

Tip: A 25 lb lead shot bag can run $25 and up ...  but you can save your dough, use an old sewn up sweat pant leg, about 18" will leave enough to sew up one end and trim off the other before tying it up etc  stuff it with $25 worth of those previously lost pennies and you still got your money on the hip.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

chatterbox

Quote from: Deputy 14 on December 14, 2011, 07:40:20 PM
This is why I won't use one. I'm afraid of a busted gun.

WyoHunter

Quote from: allaboutshooting on December 14, 2011, 07:10:23 PM

Thanks,
Clark
Glad you mentioned this Clark. That energy has to be absorbed by something.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

bird

Two 5 lb. ankle weights work perfectly for me and they are inexpensive to boot.

allchokedup

I too used sand bags. The large Caldwell weight bag filled with sand works great for me when I sight in my guns. Lead cost way too much!

gobbler74

I love my sled have used it for 5 years with probably 20 different turkey guns. Cheaper and more expensive autos from Mossy to Browning.
Trick is to use common sense and not load your sled down as if it were going to be stationary. If there is a lack of it..then refer back to OG to weight instructions.

8-12 lbs not including sled weight will absorb plenty of recoil from 20 ga to 10 ga and allow the sled to recoil with the gun. 
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

BHhunter

Thanks for the advice all. a lot of good ideas. That's why I like this sight, sometimes the answer is right in front of your nose but you just don't see it till somebody brings it up. There are two 5 lb ankle weights sitting on the shelf collecting dust, now they have a use.