turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tactics For Killing Wild Hogs!

Started by Wrangler95, December 14, 2011, 10:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrangler95

There has not been any hogs on our property until now so we would like to get rid of them.What are some ways to get rid of these?I know we never see any in daylight hours so I know we must hunt at night.Could a person put out sweet feed for them and hunt from our deer stands at night?Does anyone make traps for them?
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

lightsoutcalls

Check out this website:

http://www.texasboars.com

There is a lot of good information there.  You might want to check your game and fish department to see what the laws are in your area.  Here in AR, the regs are different on private land than on public land.  On private land here, almost anything goes... 24/7, baiting, 365 days a year, any weapon, dogs, traps...
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Wrangler95

Thanks lightsoutcalls,in Tennessee you can get permits to hunt at night on private land!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Basser69

We had hogs on our property at one time. A LOT of corn and some well designed traps and we are now hogless. Do a little google search and you will find more info out there than you need to know.  :z-guntootsmiley:

Turkey Trot

It will be hard to eliminate them by hunting them alone.  As suggested above, feed and traps will get more of them.

But if you are going to hunt them during the day, you probably won't do well trying to hunt them like a deer.  I've had more success by finding where there daytime wallows are (damp places) and going in after them.  I like a 12 gauge slug gun.  If you have hogs, it's too much fun not to shoot them at least once.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Crutch

If you trap them, you had better shoot them in the cage to remail legal. There are a lot of new rules regarding wild hogs in Tn.  In fact there is not a legal hog season any more and basically only land owners can hunt them along with up to ten people signed on to that particular farm. For instance I couldn't drive out to east tn and hunt hogs, unless a land owner signed me up to hunt his farm.

Landowners may use the following methods without exemption:
Any legal weapon and ammunition for taking big and small game during
daylight hours.
Live traps with bait. Bait may not be used during big game seasons without
an approved exemption. All targeted wild hogs must be dispatched before
removal from the trap.
Landowners will be granted an exemption to the above upon request.
Landowners may request a wild hog methods exemption by two means:
Immediate issuance of an exemption when landowners provide information to
agency personnel on the phone. The exemption form number issued will serve
as their proof of exemption until the hardcopy arrives by mail.
Landowners may visit a regional office or request an officer visit to complete a
request for exemption
Landowners, family members legally allowed to hunt the property without a license,
and up to 10 designees may assist in the control effort provided by the methods exemption. No more than 10 individuals may be used as designees annually, as defined by the TWRA's fiscal year.
The exemption will allow shooting at night with the aid of artificial light, shooting over bait during big game season, or any other methods, approved by TWRA. Dogs may be used as part of the experimental management program in Overton, Fentress, Cumberland and Pickett counties, but no dogs may be used during November or December.
Landowners must keep accurate records of total number of hogs killed on their property. This information must be provided to the TWRA on the provided Wild Hog Methods Exemption Report form provided by the agency within one month of exemption expiration.
Possession of wild appearing hogs
Possession or transportation of live wild-appearing hogs, without documentation from the Tennessee Department of Agriculture indicating such swine originated from a legal captive source, is prohibited.

Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

CASH

They are fun to hunt, but they're good for nothing than destroying your land and the food sources for other wildlife.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: CASH on December 14, 2011, 01:54:06 PM
They are fun to hunt, but they're good for nothing than destroying your land and the food sources for other wildlife.

They're good for sausage!  :D
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

CASH

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on December 14, 2011, 02:08:34 PM
Quote from: CASH on December 14, 2011, 01:54:06 PM

They're good for sausage!  :D

:icon_thumright:
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

handcannon

Trapping is a very good method for getting rid of the hogs or at least taking a few out of the equation. If hogs are new to your area, do not wait and pursue them later. If you wait 6 months, your population will be doubled. Where I live in Louisiana, they are everywhere now. I have had them come into my yard at night and root up the ground. They are a brave and will tear up your land and are a danger to small animals and humans alike.

Research building hog traps and try baiting it up as soon as possible. Bait like sour corn, day old bread and even corn lightly coated with diesel will attract them. Yes diesel. Wild hog is a good table meat, especially a young hog or even a large sow. I love them on the old smoker pit. If you dont want the meat, a lot of times you can find someone that is down on there luck that would gladly take the meat to provide for there family. I hate to see someone shoot a hog and just haul it off for the coyotes and buzzards. Someone can get some use out of it unless it's a big stinking boar hog.

allchokedup

Hi Wrangler95,
Get your exemptions and shoot them suckers up. They multiply fast. I'm on a hunting lease at Muddy Pond and they are making a mess of the farmers land. Check with the TWRA, the laws may change in Feb. 2012
Good luck.

anthonyjhallen

WyoHunter

CORN! Start a bait site with corn and get them used to coming to it and then hammer them!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!