turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 setup

Started by chrmayo, December 10, 2011, 09:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrmayo

I have an 870 supermag. I want to set it up to get the most out of it. What would you guys say the ultimate setup would be in this gun? Its one of the Wally World specials and has the 25" barrel? I have a FF2 to put on it as soon as I find someone local to drill and tap it.
-MAYO-

drenalinld

Polished barrel, pure gold 0.670 choke, sims recoil pad, and Nitro 2-1/4 oz straight 7's. Lay em' down! :you_rock: :you_rock:

gobbler74

What he said is darn fine medicine. With the pg 670 you wont have that super tight pattern but you will still have a tight pattern with great uniform coverage if it runs like one of mine. Its a killer setup for close and longer shots with more room for error.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

stick bow

My supermag loves the .665 Indian Creek.

West Augusta

24" barrel, .665 Jellyhead, B-square mount, BSA red dot, Hevi 13 MagBlends, laminated stock and a Limb Saver pad.

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: chrmayo on December 10, 2011, 09:31:07 AM
I have an 870 supermag. I want to set it up to get the most out of it. What would you guys say the ultimate setup would be in this gun? Its one of the Wally World specials and has the 25" barrel? I have a FF2 to put on it as soon as I find someone local to drill and tap it.

One "sleeper" choke is the Hevi-13 Turkey choke. It's really an amazing choke, with excellent internals, great materials and won't break the bank on price.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Gobble!

My 870 SM has a .665 Indian Creek and I shoot 3.5" 2.25oz Hevi-13 #7s. Best pattern is 323 in a 10" circle at 40 yards. When my Hevi-13 shells are gone I'm going to switch to Nitros.

chrmayo

Hey clark that h-13 sleeper choke sure took a nap in my dads 500. It shot like crap with everything we shot through it. Dont think thats the way you ment it but thats the way it worked in that gun.
-MAYO-

allaboutshooting

I've tried those H-13 chokes in all the different models now and with 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot, I've seen excellent patterns. I do start any evaluation with a "deep cleaned" barrel of course but for me, they've done a great job.

Thanks,
Clark

gooblnfever

870 sm 26"barrel

.660 rhino choke

nitro #7s 2 1/4 oz.load

gobbler killn combo

Ruger M77

what constriction are hevi 13 chokes for remingtons
I eat therefore I hunt

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Ruger M77 on December 14, 2011, 08:25:59 PM
what constriction are hevi 13 chokes for remingtons

Hevi-13 Turkey Chokes for Rem-Choke threaded guns have an exit diameter of .662.

Thanks,
Clark

SKFOOTER

Quote from: JohnDoe on December 14, 2011, 07:24:40 PM
JH 660 and Hevi 7. Quick and easy, and less expensive.
I couldn't have said it better myself!!

gobbler74

An ultimate setup would be the 870 with 1 Rhino, 1 Jellyhead, 1 Indian Creek, 1 Pure Gold, 1 SSX, 1 Kicks, and probably a few others in your pocket. That way when you walked up on these guys in the woods you would come to an agreement on what the best choke was. Nothing wrong with being prepared.  :fud:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

davisd9

Have a buddy getting great results with the JellyHead .665 and 3" Mag Blends.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer