turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need ML Black Powder Substitute advice.

Started by HogBiologist, December 07, 2011, 03:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBiologist

I have a box of 777 pellets that I believe have gotten moisture in them from humidity.  IS there any way to heat them up to dry off any retained moisture?  Things like a drying oven (not home stove, actual scientific drying oven) putting them in a warm dry place, placing box over a AC floor vent while the heater is on, etc.  Any tips would be appreciated.  and no I wont do anything stupid, so dont worry.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Crutch

I would consider boiling off any moisture under a vacuum. If you could locate a vacuum pump and put the pellet in a canister you could remove any moisture without heat. Like in the heating and airconditioning industry.

Now if I was doing it myself I might consider a dehydrator also, on a long extension cord out in the yard if I had to as a possibility.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

CB on the run

Dehydrator?  I would throw them out and buy the loose Triple 7 powder for the $20 as opposed to an accident or misfire.  I shoot a 110 grains.  The powder comes in a sealable can like smokeless and I use a small clear ketchup like container for the woods to back up two quick loads.  I'm using 3 year old powder with no loss in velocity. 
CB

allaboutshooting

Quote from: LaBiologist on December 07, 2011, 03:50:48 PM
I have a box of 777 pellets that I believe have gotten moisture in them from humidity.  IS there any way to heat them up to dry off any retained moisture?  Things like a drying oven (not home stove, actual scientific drying oven) putting them in a warm dry place, placing box over a AC floor vent while the heater is on, etc.  Any tips would be appreciated.  and no I wont do anything stupid, so dont worry.

I'd put them in an airtight, or as close to air tight as possible, box with some desiccant and see if that would do the job. I've dried other articles in this way. A dehumidifier, electric, or one like the Remington desiccant type also work very well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

WyoHunter

If you can't get the moisture out you might try some Blackhorn 209. Great powder!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

jakesdad

I agree with WyoHunter,go with the Blackhorn209 and never worry about moisture again.EXCELLENT powder.Once I switched to it i'll never go back to 777 or pyro.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

GOLD HUNTER

vaturkey

Quote from: GOLD HUNTER on December 10, 2011, 07:24:37 PM
I'd just go buy some new ones  :icon_thumright:

brian

I would have to agree with Brian. Trying to skimp could cost you a shot at a trophy buck !
Vaturkey

CB on the run

Quote from: WyoHunter on December 10, 2011, 03:21:56 PM
If you can't get the moisture out you might try some Blackhorn 209. Great powder!
Did you shoot it through a chronograph?  We did and Triple 7 gives better velocities.

CB