Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hanging feeders - feeder motors - recommendations?

Started by lightsoutcalls, December 05, 2011, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

I recently got permission to hunt a property that is said to have wild hogs on it.  With some scouting this weekend, we found numerous signs from a bit of dried mud on a tree near a water hole (hog rub), bedding areas, well worn trails, tracks and an old wallow.  The tracks are fresh, as it rained last weekend enough to wash out any previous tracks.  I have permission to hunt this property in any way the game laws allow (pretty much wide open on hogs for private property) and want to draw some hogs into an area where we can set up a stand and/or blind.  
 I just ordered an American Hunter 50 lb. hanging feeder from Sportsman's Guide and plan to set it up with my trail camera to see what we can get to come in.  We did set up a rolling pipe feeder, but I feel like the timed feeder may be more effective...

Anyone have experience with the American Hunter feeders?  Any other feeder suggestions?  Any good feeder timers that I should keep an eye out for?  I've never used a powered feeder, so this is new territory for me.

Thanks for any suggestions...
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Tail Feathers

I like On Timer feeders.  Had one for about 12 years.  Lifetime warranty, or $10 to fix anything locally at a couple of shops.  I'd buy another if one disappeared.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

stone road turkey calls

Those feeders are great, they will bring in hogs,deer,turkey,crows squirrels, ect. how can you afford to feed all them, A 5 gal. bucket of 10 day old sour corn (add as needed) will bring the hogs in they love it, and keep the other critters out.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Tail Feathers

Sour corn will do the trick for sure. 

Old timers here used to pour out used motor oil.  The pigs love to roll in it to keep bugs off.  But the EPA wouldn't approve. :help:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

lightsoutcalls

I've heard of using 1-1 1/2 quarts of diesel per 5 gallon bucket of corn to keep deer and livestock off the bait.  Hogs apparently don't mind.... somehow I have a hard time thinking about eating something that has ingested diesel fuel.  :P

I am looking to use the hanging feeder to condition the hogs to being in the area at certain times of day/night.  I plan on picking up a remote that will allow me to trigger it once in position for a shot.  If the hogs come in like we hope, we may be building a trap in the near future to try to catch some of the critters.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!