turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite Caliber?

Started by 870BkWht, November 10, 2011, 09:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

I've only had a chance to take one deer with it, as I just got it this summer, but love my new (to me) Marlin 336 in .35 Remington.  It honestly doesn't seem to have as much recoil as an old .30-.30 I borrowwed years ago, and has more knockdown power with 200 grain Hornady Leverevolution bullets.  I look forward to trying some other ammo to see how different brands perform, but the deer I took last weekend went only about 50 yards with a shot that was a little high - only clipped one lung. 
The places I hunt, you would be hard pressed to get a 100 yard shot, so this rifle fits my needs quite well.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Reloader

.284 of course. 

284 Win
7mm-08
7x57
280 Rem
The GREAT 7mm Rem Mag
7STW
7Wby

It's just hard to go wrong with a 7.

Uncle Nicky

.30-06. Does the job on anything from antelope to moose, and never a problem finding ammo.

BigHooks

I love my 300 WSM it sure get's the job done..

Tom Foolery

.260 Remington or .358 Winchester or 45/70 Government.  

My .260 is a Remington Mountain rifle, easy packing, very accurate 120gr NBT @ 2911fps.  Not much different than your .270 really.

I would go bigger bore just because if I were you.

My .358 Winchester is a Ruger Hawkeye.  Handles great, very accurate, 200gr Hornady @ 2500fps.

My 45/70 in a Marlin 1895G, packs great, points great, shoots greaterer :) .  This is one I would never even consider getting rid of.  I have loads that recoil like a .223 and ones that will slap the taste out of your mouth.  This is a great old round.  Since getting the Marlin, LOTS of nice rifles have spent more time in the safe while the 1895G goes hunting.

chatterbox

I own a .308 myself, but if I was to get another cartridge, I believe I would go with a 7mm-08.
Less recoil, and very flat shooting. Good velocity as well.

Devastator

338 rem ultra mag and 180 grain noslers.

rlbreakfield

.308, been gettin it done for a long time.  Luv mine.

Sent from my SCH-I100 using Tapatalk

Kylongspur88

I like the 7mm-08, but they are tough to find around here. 308 is the way to go for availability. You can also shoot a 180gr load with the .308

Woodsman4God

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on November 17, 2011, 10:39:42 AM
I've only had a chance to take one deer with it, as I just got it this summer, but love my new (to me) Marlin 336 in .35 Remington.  It honestly doesn't seem to have as much recoil as an old .30-.30 I borrowwed years ago, and has more knockdown power with 200 grain Hornady Leverevolution bullets.  I look forward to trying some other ammo to see how different brands perform, but the deer I took last weekend went only about 50 yards with a shot that was a little high - only clipped one lung. 
The places I hunt, you would be hard pressed to get a 100 yard shot, so this rifle fits my needs quite well.

I inherited a 35 remington and for deer hunting up to 100 yards its the cats meow especially as Wendell said with the hornady leverevolution bullets you cant beat it. Beyond that I would have to say I would go 7mm or 308, both great guns and very versatile

Luke95

Sumtoy Get Choked

longbox

It always amazes me when this subject comes up and response regarding caliber and bullet weight for shooting thin skinned whitetails. Over the years I shot primairly shot a 30-30 with 150 grain from an old Winchester 94. I was young, the shots were short range, the deer relatively small (less than 175 lbs) and didin't mind getting womped by the recoil from the metal buttplate.

When I got older and could no longer sight well from the fixed metal sights I looked at what would suit me best for the size game I would be shooting and the range I would be shooting them. Call me a wimp but I choose the .243. The 100 grain bullet is the largest made for it yet I find powerful and adequate for taking medium size deer at distances of 200 yds +. And the recoil is next to nothing. I also found this caliber great for smaller game such as yotes and ground hogs. If I'm just hunting these I'll step down to a lighter bullet but I've splattered several ground hogs while loaded with a 95 grain Hornady on a deer hunt.

Don't get me wrong when it comes to shooting larger game I opt for bigger guns and calibers like the S&W 460 Magnum I use for bear.

JMTW   
Waffle House Pro Staff
It's not the years it's the mileage

barry

.308 and the ammo won't cost you an arm & a leg

ncturkey

sworntofun

I like my .30-06 but starting to like the .243 too.