OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

class about bullying

Started by TClark, November 02, 2011, 02:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

Although I understand the idea of trying to get a bully to realize the feelings of the other person, the illustration probably won't cause the lightbulb to come on in the bully's head.   It may be a good illustration to show how the victim feels, but likely would be laughed off by the bully. 
   Bullies act as they do because they have been hurt or rejected in their own lives.  Sometimes they act out because they have never been taught how to communicate their feelings and frustrations in any other way.  This does NOT excuse their behavior.  In my experience, the most effective way for a bully to learn not to bully is for them to be taken down a notch.  Once that happens, then you can try the soft-hearted approach.  You won't "talk" a bully into appropriate behavior in front of a group of others.  He/she has to maintain the "alpha" status among their peers. 
   I was bullied verbally throughout school.  I was only physically bullied a couple of times.  Once, while in grade school, my brother picked the bully up by his belt and his shirt collar and threw him face first into a BIG mud puddle.  He never bothered me again.  The other time was in 10th grade.  I was in JROTC and was wearing my Class B (semi-dress) uniform.  A wirey kid took my uniform cap in the middle of a class.  I told him to give it back and he ignored me and kept playing with the hat.  I used a slang term that questioned his sexual orientation (not the best idea).  Again, in the middle of class, he punched me square in the middle of my forehead. That hurt...  A knot started to swell up almost immediately, but not before I stood to my feet and looked down at him straight in the eyes.  I didn't have to say another word.  He handed my hat back and didn't bother me again.  Funny thing is that he joined JROTC the next year and was pleasant to me through the rest of high school. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Struttinhusker

I agree that this exercise or any other will have little or no effect on the bully.  It might have an effect on the other kids so that they don't stand by and let some other kid be bullied.  My grandson has been taught that he is not to just go along or ignore when he sees someone being bullied, and he has found himself in that situation.  I also agree that standing up for ones self is the best remedy, but the sad fact is that some kids are not physically or emotionally able to do that very well.

TClark

WOW, couple bully's on the forum with us.  :z-guntootsmiley:

It's an analogy folks..NOT a cure. If it hit home in just one out of a hundred kids, would it not be worth it?
Take Care and be blessed,
Terry

College Students
http://4gcellpay.com/

flintlock

If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

longspur

I was bullied from the time I was 5 or 6. At school and by neighbors. Being the smallest person in my grade through school didn't help any, but I know other kids that were pretty small that took up for thereself. That is the key. Bullies don't bully many people that take up for thereself no matter there size. I think a serious alcohol problem in the family was the biggest reason for poor social skills and not learning to be articulate. I was 35 years old before I learned how valuable a punch in the snout was. Too late, our life as a child molds us into what we are.