OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shotgun bore cleaning solvent?

Started by GaryO, October 28, 2011, 11:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryO

Gary O

NRA Member

allaboutshooting

Quote from: GaryO on October 28, 2011, 11:55:27 AM
What are you folks useing?  ???

I use a lot of Hoppe's #9 and lately I've also been using their Venom bore cleaner. Both are excellent products that do the job very well and are quite reasonably priced.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BigPeck215

break free clp on my shotguns
shooters choice on all my rifles
hoppes #9 on my muzzleloaders

of the three I believe shooters choice is the superior product but all 3 are good enough for government work

mossy835

Shooters choice or Hoppes on all my barrels for cleaning with a swab and bristle brush on the shotguns. My hunting partner also uses a bore snake on his 835 in the field and that does a decent quick job.

Wingbone

I've used GunScrubber, GunSlick(foaming), Remjob, etc. but I went to Hoppe's #9 this year after cleaning my Max Gobbler with it. I couldn't believe the cheapest of the bunch did the best job, but I don't plan on using anything else now.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

chatterbox

Quote from: mossy835 on October 28, 2011, 01:14:57 PM
Shooters choice or Hoppes on all my barrels for cleaning with a swab and bristle brush on the shotguns. My hunting partner also uses a bore snake on his 835 in the field and that does a decent quick job.
This is what I do as well. When I cleaned the rifle I bought from a buddy of mine, I deep cleaned the barrel with shooters choice, and it ate the old lead and copper like nothing I have ever seen! Really tightened up the groups at the bench!
On my shotgun, I just go with hoppes.

hookedspur

Quote from: BigPeck215 on October 28, 2011, 01:00:14 PM
break free clp on my shotguns
shooters choice on all my rifles
hoppes #9 on my muzzleloaders

of the three I believe shooters choice is the superior product but all 3 are good enough for government work

I use the same except I use #13 on ML
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Gold Spur

You can't go wrong with Hoppe's #9 or Shooter's Choice. They'll get the job done!

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

ctwny1

I agree with Shoots Choice and Hoppe's, but I also use Wally's Bore Cleaner and I mean to tell yea it does a fantastic job a long with Wally's oil and special gun grease.

Check out www.hartfordarmory.com  for Wally's products.
Really good stuff.

vaturkey

Hoppe's #9 is real good stuff but IMO Shooters Choice is the best hands down.  :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

tactikel

Ive used Hoppes #9 for 45 years (the old formula was fantastic) and if the bore was really fouled I use Butches bore shine. Shotgun barrels are easier to clean than rifles, you are only cleaning out powder fouling, plastic and maybe some lead. A whiff of #9 really brings back some great memories cleaning up after coming in from the field or range!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: tactikel on November 03, 2011, 10:06:31 PM
Ive used Hoppes #9 for 45 years (the old formula was fantastic) and if the bore was really fouled I use Butches bore shine. Shotgun barrels are easier to clean than rifles, you are only cleaning out powder fouling, plastic and maybe some lead. A whiff of #9 really brings back some great memories cleaning up after coming in from the field or range!

There are things that trigger memories and like you, "a whiff or #9..." does that for me as well. Growing up in a hunting and shooting family, we were taught to take care of the game and the guns. The hunt was not over until both were cleaned.

There are some things that just endure and work as well today as they did years ago. In my experience, Hoppe's #9 is one of them.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

davisd9

For my turkey gun I use Hoppe's #9 Benchrest.  It gets the powder, shot, and wad parts out of the barrel.  Does a great job.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

decoykrvr

Years ago a benchrest shooter turned me onto a blend of 50/50 Shooter's Choice and Kroil Oil.  I get the same results as pure Shooter's Choice at a lower cost and, according to my friend, the addition of the Kroil Oil gives a lower friction co-efficient, better penetration, and metal protection.
Craig

goblr77