OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

State Land hunts 2-4

Started by Woodsman4God, October 08, 2011, 11:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodsman4God

Well since my last post about state land hunting I have been out 3 more times and all 3 times have been eventful.

2nd time I took my oldest son (7) and we sat in a ground blind and saw a doe, she Walked by us at about 15 yards , if I was a little quicker I might have been aboe to manage a shot but seeing as how we didnt spook her it was good, My oldest was pretty excited he saw a deer that close.

3rd time out I took my youngest son ( 4 1/2) Now hes a little more patient than the oldest but still pretty young to be sitting in a brush built ground blind but he was doing great, we got to about the same time we did the night before with his brother and I start hearing what I think is a deer coming in, same place etc....I tap my son and point where I want him to look, he moves a little to see around some of the branches and stares for a second then quickly turns and says I see a Deer, I try to shush him but he goes on and says I can see its face, being on adifferent angle I couldnt tell yet if there was a deer there, I get him quiet ( hes very excited) which was a challenge and whisper to him he has to stay quiet if we want to see a deer and just then it bolts from out of the cover its in. Needless to say no shot but man oh man I have one happy 4 year old seeing his first deer in the woods.

The next morning I go out alone and hunt inmy treestand and just  after dawn I have a large but very cautious doe start coming in, in tow she has 2 yearlings one button one doe. I figure I will let them walk when I hear another coming and here comes a respectable spike 6-8 inches and then another behind that one, this one never cleared the brush but I could tell it was a buck probably a 4 pt because I could see a split in the tines but they were more tall than wide. Figured another 1 1/2 year old, All 4 deer are watching Momma and she is doing a CSI kind of investigation of the area, She has been all around where I came in so I figure my scent control is working All 5 deer within 15 yards when I hear another crack in the branches behind the 5 th deer. All 5 deer look behind them back towards where they came. I figure Another hopefully bigger one coming in, Now momma is starting to move off I figure the rest will follow, off to my back side I hear something and check it out slowly but dont see anything before I can turn my head momma does a short snort and all of them bolt, not sure what upset her but it was exciting anyways, hopefully the next post will be a success story beyond the success of spending quality time in the woods with my boys and seeing lots of deer

nctrkyhntr

sounds like some exciting times in the woods. Glad to see your sons are enjoying it as well. I cant wait to take my 4 year old this year.