OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

ASAT Camouflage

Started by dnolan, October 01, 2011, 09:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnolan

Anyone out there using it for their Turkey camo???
Looking for a little feedback on it, shoot me a PM or post up, I'd appreciate it...
Thank you,
Dave
Saved by grace....

natman

While ASAT is terrific for breaking up your outline at long distances, I'd prefer a bit more realistic detail for the relatively short distances involved in turkey hunting.

Shoregobbler

Checkout Predator Spring green. It is the best I have ever seen.

dnolan

Thank you for the replies so far, I appreciate it...
Dave
Saved by grace....

mossy835

I wore Seclusion 3d open country this weekend and had a group of turkeys walk right up to me and past me without flushing. They did look me over but no response so I guess it works. Mask gloves shirt and pants.

Crappiepro

Quote from: natman on October 02, 2011, 05:00:17 AM
While ASAT is terrific for breaking up your outline at long distances, I'd prefer a bit more realistic detail for the relatively short distances involved in turkey hunting.
X2, I thought it was for deer hunting/tree stand camo. I sure would hate to loose a shot at a tom if he spooks because of camo.

dnolan

Good info....
From a "breaking up the outline" stand point, this should work pretty well on a ground blind application, would you agree???
Dave
Saved by grace....

gaboy

I use both ASAT regular camo and the leafy suit. Have had turkeys less than 5 yards of me and never knew I  was there. Forget about what ASAT looks like to you as a human. That doesn't apply to animals.

Also once there is a full green up the light background of the ASAT starts taking on the hue of the prevailing color. I've seen it do it myself. Get in dappled shade and you'll be amazed how well this stuff works.

StruttinGobbler3

I think the ASAT would be fine for turkey hunting. I believe way too much emphasis is placed on camo these days. Being still is whats important. Don't matter who makes your camo or how expensive it is, if you can't be still you will spook turkeys. Now I'll admit I am a gear junkie and love trying out the latest and greatest as much as anyone. But I had no more trouble killing turkeys back in the day wearing my old army fatigues than I do now with my mossy oak. Just my. 02 cents
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Turkey Trot

Last year I had a hen turkey walk right up to me and inspect me and step on my foot submerged in grass with my legs fully extended.  I was wearing a green fleece sweater on over and hiding a realtree camo shirt, digital woodland military camo pants, brown leather boots, a net camo mask, glasses, and a camo hat.  No two pieces of apparel exactly matched one another or my environment, but they were all subdued earthtones.  I closed my eyes to try to keep her from seeing me blink, she paid more attention to my eyes and face than anything else.  She never spooked or flew away cackling, just mild putting and walked away because no calling hen ever emerged.

Our early forebears did not have camo and somehow they managed to kill turkeys.

Read up on turkey eyes and vision.  They do not see things the way that we do, and to believe that visually process and perceive things the way that we do, including camo patterns, is folly.  They have relatively large eyes on the side of the head which gives them good peripheral vision and they are very good at detecting movement, even slow, deliberate movement.  What they do not have is binocular vision like us, the same rods and color perception but they do have "color vision" different than deer, and they are believed to have poor depth perception relative to a human.  In virtually every respect, humans can see "better" than they can because we have some physiological advantages and a better central nervous system.

The camo companies have done a very good job of fooling people with their marketing.  They say "Look how well this hunter is concealed [to your eye]" and there is an implied equivocation between human vision and turkey vision.  If you were a sniper hunting humans, the cessation of the thought process might be in order.  But if you're turkey hunting, the implication does not make total sense.

If a given hunter of skill wears basic camo or earth tones, get up against a tree or other cover to break up your figure, cover your face, don't move when they can see you, or otherwise have a visual tell, all other things being equal (woods skill, calls, shotgun, load) he'll kill as many as he will wearing the latest, greatest, most expensive, highly marketed camo.  the best turkey killers I know don't fret the camo issue and certainly don't own the latest and greatest Madison Avenue stuff.  They hunt basic army bdu's, non-camo earthtones, old mossy oak, old realtree, they mix the foregoing based on what is cleaned and dry that day, and know when to be still and be quiet.    
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Turkey Trot

I should add that I am the obstinate type, I don't go for being corner lip hooked by marketing ploys.

I wear viet nam era type tiger stripe camo, woodland bdu's, and digital military camo, along with green and brown earthtone clothing just because.  I have a few pieces of hunter specific camo here and there too.  I've had them come in quiet and bust me moving because I didn't know they were coming, but I've never noticed any reluctance due to camo pattern.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

30_06

I generally wear the ASAT leafy suit. It does what it is supposed to do, break up your outline during any season in any terrain.

natman

The "they killed turkeys before camo" and "It's a marketing ploy" are tired cliches. Hunters got spotted by turkeys because the turkey saw them back then, just like they do now. But it increases your odds of success if you're hard to see.

Nobody said you HAD TO HAVE the latest camo or the turkeys are going to run away screaming. But the OP asked about a specific pattern. I gave him an answer. If you are going to buy camo clothing, you might as well pick a pattern that matches where you hunt. If you have woodland or tigerstripe and it works for you, great.

Yes, turkey vision definitely is different than human vision. That doesn't mean that camo that looks like the surroundings doesn't work.

And no camo, no matter how realistic,  is going to keep them from seeing you if you move around. You won't have much luck if you bang on a drum or blast away on a boom box either.

Turkey Trot

Quote from: natman on February 04, 2012, 07:37:07 AM
The "they killed turkeys before camo" and "It's a marketing ploy" are tired cliches. Hunters got spotted by turkeys because the turkey saw them back then, just like they do now. But it increases your odds of success if you're hard to see.

Nobody said you HAD TO HAVE the latest camo or the turkeys are going to run away screaming. But the OP asked about a specific pattern. I gave him an answer. If you are going to buy camo clothing, you might as well pick a pattern that matches where you hunt. If you have woodland or tigerstripe and it works for you, great.

What makes you think any part of my answer was directed to you or about your post?

The oldest cliche is mindless consumerism, which is pretty high in hunting apparel as it is in general fashion.

natman

Quote from: Turkey Trot on February 04, 2012, 05:11:19 PM
Quote from: natman on February 04, 2012, 07:37:07 AM

What makes you think any part of my answer was directed to you or about your post?

The oldest cliche is mindless consumerism, which is pretty high in hunting apparel as it is in general fashion.

I agree that there is a certain amount of "fashion" in camo patterns. I don't think you have to buy this year's patterns. Heck, I still use mostly 20 year old Realtree Xtra Brown, because while I can see that there have been advances in photorealism in the newer patterns, they're not enough better to justify getting new gear, at least not until the stuff I have wears out. However, if someone wants to buy some new gear and asks about using a certain pattern for turkey hunting, I'm going to recommend what I believe to be the best patterns for the task. I don't think that's foolish.

I also agree that turkeys do see things differently. They have the wide angle vision of prey animals rather than the binocular vision of predators. So they aren't going to have good depth perception. It's possible they may see colors differently.  However, no matter how they process visual input, I don't see how a realistic green leaf on a camo pattern isn't going to look similar to a real green leaf to them, no matter how different a turkey's interpretation of a green leaf might be from mine. Your going to have to spell out how that works in some detail before it makes sense.