OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fall turkey hunt with a Pellet gun

Started by TRKYHTR, September 27, 2011, 11:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new2turkey

Quote from: mossy835 on September 29, 2011, 07:21:54 PM
Wow that is the first I had heard of the flyer's and I do not doubt you. My experience has been as below with both hollow point lead and the Raptor PBA is below from a .177 Gamo at about 35 feet using a rest. Now I am no expert but they do a number on field rats as I shot many last year.

Very nice! I shoot a GAMO Big Cat 1200, and the Raptor pellets are supposed to break the sound barrier. Unfortunately, in my case, they do about 1 in 5 shots, and from numerous reviews online they vary greatly when shot through a chrono. I stick with the cheap crosman premier hollow points, they do the job just fine  :icon_thumright:

mossy835

Yes I shoot the hollow points a lot also and they do a number on the rats (that is all I use it for and target practice). Guess when I get back I need to shoot a few more of the PBA's and see how they do (think I have shot about 10 or 12 so far in a couple of years). Still hard to believe they are legal for turkeys,

new2turkey

Quote from: mossy835 on September 29, 2011, 07:29:36 PM
Yes I shoot the hollow points a lot also and they do a number on the rats (that is all I use it for and target practice). Guess when I get back I need to shoot a few more of the PBA's and see how they do (think I have shot about 10 or 12 so far in a couple of years. Still hard to believe they are legal for turkeys,

Be good to hear another's experience as well. Yeah, it is hard to believe.

Oh and mossy, those hollow points do a number on squirrels and groundhogs too.  :angel9:

mossy835

Ground hogs I could get away with but the squirrels here and the wife are good friends they eat and she feeds them. Years ago I used to kill a  lot of rattle snakes with an old Benjamin pump up .22. Always one shot and a dead snake. I will post again after my turkey hunt this weekend.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: vaturkey on September 28, 2011, 06:25:14 AM
Joe

That was awesome !! What kind of pellet rifle kills a turkey stone dead like that ? That first turkey looked like a house fell on him ! Great video !!

vaturkey   :newmascot:

That pellet rifle was either a RWS 48 or RWS 52 recoiless model more than likely.  They make a Chinese version of RWS model 48 for a lot less money but I forgot the model.  I have a Beeman GS1000 that will drop turkeys just like that.  All you do is aim for the head with a scope on the gun with accurate pellets.  I shot a rat with mine at probably 40yds and hit right where I aimed.  Mine shot around 1000fps.  I had a RWS 48 at one time.  To give you the idea of the power it had, I shot completely through the head of a big groundhog at about 15yds.  That gun was rated at 1100fps.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

Now this is only 10yds, but it will show you the accuracy of these guns with very good pellets.  Those RWS R10 pellets will shoot extremely well.  I shot this group with my Beeman GS1000 off of my sons foosball table and some blankets folded up and out my walkout basement.  I shot a pellet at the board and used that pellet as my target.  That is 5 shots.  I was using a Bushnell Banner 4-12x40mm scope.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

And I don't know what kind of wood that was but it was extremely hard.  I have killed some squirrels with this gun and a lot of blackbirds.  It will shoot right through a blackbird at 40yds. 

new2turkey

nice, GAMO has never done me wrong. I don't trust the chinese version of air rifles, but RWS is a great company.

mossy835

I just checked the last lead HP i bought and they are BRRAUG AMMOTEC Gmbh made in Germany They are called Super H Point with o.45 g and 6.9 gr on the lid. They will stop a rat in it's tracks and seem to hold a tight pattern also. They are not as fast as the PBA is but they tell me the impact is deadly.

kj

Joe, very cool video of you and Kerry.  What a great spot!

surehuntsalot

awesome video
that's one bad pellet rifle
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

WiLL B

Now that was a big bunch of Turkeys! Cool hunt too! And with a pellet gun!!!!!