turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

non-scoped shotgun vs. scoped shotgun

Started by camp man, February 15, 2011, 04:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hognutz

If your gun shoots 10'' low and 5'' right, a bead is not much help. And some do shoot that far off. I own one. Also, when you put the red dot on a turkeys head, it is all over. Every time, without fail. It takes the too much bead/not enough bead, out of the equation, especially at long ranges, when the barrel and the bead cover the whole bird. Try it, you'll like it..Mike :icon_thumright:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

WVhuntEER

I will never hunt turkeys again without some sort of scope.  I love having a little manification to bring the target in closer.   The only disadvantage might be shooting one getting ready to fly but I really don't like to do that unless I have to anyway.

guesswho

The only reason I use one is because all I shoot is three year old or older birds and the scope helps me evaluate the spurs before I decide to kill him if he don't gobble first.

Actually my eye's arean't as good as they used to be so the scope helps correct that.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

3chunter

Unless you are very old and can't see....a scope is. For preference only.  A reddot maybe different but a true scope...I don't see the advantage. 

Hognutz

new2turkey

knightrider

Quote from: 3chunter on February 15, 2011, 07:22:07 PM
Unless you are very old and can't see....a scope is. For preference only.  A reddot maybe different but a true scope...I don't see the advantage.  
:TooFunny: im 33 and cant see does that make me VERY OLD  :goofball:

jakesdad

While I dont use a scope I can see where it would help people with poor eyesight.I do think any sight is better than just a bead,and i used just a bead for a long time and killed lots of birds.But I installed a williams rifle type sight on my 20 and it helps greatly,and i dont really even shoot super tight patterns.I think the biggest advantage with any sight on a shotgun,scope or otherwise,at least for me,is helping you keep your head down and eye lined up.i think more guys look over the bead of a shotgun than they realize.just my .02

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

drum817

I am 42 years old and wear glasses.  I shoot adjustable open sights on both my turkey guns.  I practice a fair amount before the season gets here at 40 yards....so far I've had no problems but if that ever changes I will not hessitate to start using optics.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

pittboss

I shoot a reddot scope for a good reason. I an left eye dominant and right handed so looking down the barrel to shoot with my right eye can be a problem.............. my point of aim is off to the left. The scope keeps me from having to worry about making adjustments in the field. I already have enough to worry about

pittboss
Gobble Gobble Boom !!!!!

Hognutz

Just a little heads up. As you get older and your eyesight gets a little ''challenged'', you lose the ability to focus on the rear sight/front sight/target, all at once. You see the rear sight, or the front sight and the target, not all three at once. It becomes difficult. Looking through a scope, (red dot in my case), you see one dot and the target. Very simple, very easy, and very deadly..Mike

knightrider

Quote from: Hognutz on February 15, 2011, 09:27:15 PM
Just a little heads up. As you get older and your eyesight gets a little ''challenged'', you lose the ability to focus on the rear sight/front sight/target, all at once. You see the rear sight, or the front sight and the target, not all three at once. It becomes difficult. Looking through a scope, (red dot in my case), you see one dot and the target. Very simple, very easy, and very deadly..Mike
thanks for the wonderfull news i already cant see and now its gonna get worse, geez thanks :character0029:

WyoHunter

Quote from: bencattin on February 15, 2011, 05:58:05 PM
With the chokes we use today our guns shoot more like rifles. Using a scope lets me adjust the POI to my tighest part of the pattern. It also makes you keep your head in the right position. I use a 4 power scope and there is no guessing when the cross hairs are on a gobblers noggin.
Well Put IMO!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

hobbes

I get the poor eyesight reasons, I could very likely need one for that reason at some point in the future, but I have got to give someone a hard time about the others.

Lets walk through this slowly.......I know some of you are old.  LOL

First......if I ask about range the overwhelming distance is still 40 yards and in with most saying I like em "close".

Second.......even though you like em close........you need to ratchet that shotgun down until you can kill one at 75 yards comfortably, and darn near shoot a single projectile out to 30 yards.  Although rifles are straight from the hands of Satan. (I may have crossed the line with that comment) ;D

And finally.......when asked why you use a scope..............."I gotta have it or I can't hit up close because I'm shooting such a tight pattern"

So...............I'm still slow enough here aren't I?......You've created a need for a scope at ranges that you prefer to kill birds because you've spent $500 perfecting load and choke combinations to the point that your gun isn't effective at your preferred range........Hmmmm!......I believe your logic is a little flawed.  Maybe that is turkey hunter logic.

I have to add.  The most recent HS video I watched raves about the scopes on their guns.  Yet, the video has the worst bunch of shooting in it I've ever seen.  I don't believe there was a turkey one in that production that had a feather left on its back.

HogBiologist

Quote from: hobbes on February 16, 2011, 01:07:59 AM
I get the poor eyesight reasons, I could very likely need one for that reason at some point in the future, but I have got to give someone a hard time about the others.

Lets walk through this slowly.......I know some of you are old.  LOL

First......if I ask about range the overwhelming distance is still 40 yards and in with most saying I like em "close".

Second.......even though you like em close........you need to ratchet that shotgun down until you can kill one at 75 yards comfortably, and darn near shoot a single projectile out to 30 yards.  Although rifles are straight from the hands of Satan. (I may have crossed the line with that comment) ;D

And finally.......when asked why you use a scope..............."I gotta have it or I can't hit up close because I'm shooting such a tight pattern"

So...............I'm still slow enough here aren't I?......You've created a need for a scope at ranges that you prefer to kill birds because you've spent $500 perfecting load and choke combinations to the point that your gun isn't effective at your preferred range........Hmmmm!......I believe your logic is a little flawed.  Maybe that is turkey hunter logic.

I have to add.  The most recent HS video I watched raves about the scopes on their guns.  Yet, the video has the worst bunch of shooting in it I've ever seen.  I don't believe there was a turkey one in that production that had a feather left on its back.

Hobbes, here is my take on why "I" have a scope.  I was turkey hunting with my brother.  Gobbler comes in to 30 yards.  I was using rifle style clip on sights that were fiber optic.  At 30 yards I did not see a small limb infront of the bird.  I shot and he went the other way.  When i got down there i saw the small limb (actually it was a tiny beech sprout).  Next year I put a scope on my gun.  Same ridge, had a bird come 30 yards from me.  I saw him step into the open, i thought.  when i looked through my scope I saw a limb in the way.  I waited till he cleared then fired.  Dead turkey.  Had I not had a scope i would not have seen that limb.  I do not have poor sight.  I am 20/20 with great eyes.  I like to have the 2x magnification to see obsticles in the way.  My scope is 1.5x-4x by 32.  My logic is not flawed (not a stab at your comment) it is true.  I have a scope for a reason.  That reason is to help see and I can also use the circle around the + to determine range.  Basically at X range  Y amount of the turkey should fit in my reticle.  For me at 2 X  the turkeys head down to his beard should fit in my O.  if his head/Neck is in the O, he should be dead.  At 40 yards my front bead completely covers the 10" circle on my targets. And yes I draw a circle after to check pattern, but I also have one on there to check POA/POI.  For me a scope is a no brainer even at normal ranges.  I do not have a 45+ yard setup.  I still prefer a scope.  ANd the weight issue is not an issue.  I dont notice it.
Certified Wildlife Biologist