OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NEW LIFE FOR A OLD SCHOOL REMINGTON 1187 update 02/24/12

Started by GOLD HUNTER, September 01, 2011, 03:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler74

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Fullfan

Great find man. I have seen 3 of them pop up in the last year, and all 3 have been here on OG. I found one for Jr and he has killed 5 longbeards w/it. Great shooter with the Hevi #6 and a Black Diamond. Keep me posted on how the TSS does through it...
Don't gobble at me...

ncturkey

GOLD HUNTER

we headn to the shootn range sept. 12 and shoot the new turkey killer...... :icon_thumright:

brian

GOLD HUNTER

I went to GANDER MTN and got a limbsaver for the 1187 2day and put it on....... :fud:

GOLD HUNTER

Finally got to the shooting range today to shoot the old 1187.  Before you guys start hollering at me about 30 & 40 yards and a 10" circle and a 12" circle this was a test to see how the gun would perform and what type of ammo it likes.  I only shot the gun at 30 yards with a 10" & 12" circle.

We shot a few rounds of Winchester lead to get it close and see how the action worked.  This was a 20 yr old gun and I had never shot it before.  After gaining the confidence of the gun we switched to the hevi loads.  1st we tried a Nitro and it put 348 in a 10" circle.  I then switched to my 8 ball handload which is 2 ozs of #8's TSS.  In a 10" circle it got  368.  The only choke i had was the one that came in it kicks .660.
I will be trying a ic.665 next time.

The gun worked flawlessly, very smooth action and kicked the shells out extremely well.  The limbsaver really cut down on the recoil.

In all this gun will be in the woods for a long time in the future slaying turkeys.

On my next go round at the range I will fine tune it with the TSS 8 ball at 40 yards.  

Brian  :icon_thumright:

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

WIRE PALADIN

not bad for 30yds  ;) ............try a IC. choke in that gun and post them up !!!

just  :deadhorse: on you .... :icon_thumright:

pat
:chucknorris:

Have gun will travel to your woods to hunt

GOLD HUNTER

Now that i found a limbsaver AT GANDER MTN. for the 1187.

I ordered the new Trigger Plate Pin Front & back from Remington.com and got them in this week.
The gun didn't come with them.

Next will be the removal of the red/green dot scope and then will have the gun drilled and tapped for a base plate and rings. I will then mount a scope on it. the cost of having the gun drilled and tapped and a new base plate and rings is $ 70.00 .

i tryed the choke that was in it but will probably be putting an Indian Creek in her but that will come after the 1st of the new year.

I will be selling the red/green dot scope and then the kicks.660 choke on here later if anyone is interested.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

brian

mommicked

Hello everyone, new memeber here. I have the green camo 1187SPNWTF puchased new in the early 90s. it is a great shooting shotgun that soaks up the recoil of 2oz. 3 inch loads and buckshot well. It also has synthetic stock and forend. My factory extended choke is also camo and patterns great for a short barreled gun. It also makes a great brush gun for deer w buckshot. and would probably be great w a slug barrel on it also. I think you'll enjoy it alot and rainy days are no problem at all w this gun. Mine has never jammed or had any trouble whatsover w funtioning. Fullfan, my 1187 is the same pattern as yours and yours is the only other one Ive ever seen. I think that pattern is kinda rare.
Learning something new, on every hunt.

SKFOOTER

mommicked

SKfooter, Ive contemplated selling it.But I really like the gun and hate to sell any of my guns. I sold a 870 sportsman slug/ventrib combo years ago, beacause it was to noisy, the slide would click just pointing it up and down while moving throught he woods. That quiet metallic click cost me two nice bucks and on the second time I knew I didnt want it anymore. It was a shame because it patterned foster slugs about 4" at 100yrds w open sites. I will probably post the 1187 here, If I decide to get rid of it.
Learning something new, on every hunt.

SKFOOTER

Well keep me in mind if and when you decide to part with.  I'd like to have first dibs on it.

GOLD HUNTER

Guys i got the new Trigger Plate Pin Front & back from Remington.com last week and after fall turkey season the removal of the red/green dot scope and then will have the gun drilled and tapped for a base plate and rings for a scope.

Brian