turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pecking Order

Started by TRKYHTR, August 31, 2011, 10:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

I had an interesting day yesterday. For the last couple weeks my gobbler "Buddy", who I affectionately named because he was the only poult out of 28 that imprinted on me, has became more and more agressive towards me. He postures up when I go into the pen to feed or clean or whatever but has never hit me until yesterday. I was filling up the feed bowl when Buddy came right up with a slight raddle fighting purr and posturing like he was wanting to fight. So I just stood there waiting to see what he was going to do. We stood there for a few minutes and he would walk back and forth with an agressive posture but not really too agressive. As I took my eyes off of him to look at my dogs who were playing in the pool WHAM, Buddy hit me. It felt like I had gotten hit in the shin with a baseball bat. Well, after 12 years of martial arts training and a second degree black belt, I am fairly good with me feet. My first kick sent him in the air until he hit the back wall and slid down to the ground. I was still in kind of shock that he actually flogged me and my kick was only reactionary until he started coming back at me for some more. My next kick was very intentional sending Buddy flying across the pen with a thud like he had been hit with a bat. I hit him so hard my shoe fell off. After retrieving my shoe I began to chase him down. After a few bouts in the corner of the pen Buddy went straight for the pen door which was slightly open. He hit that door running. He doesn't like to go out of the pen because there are dogs and Mr. Rooster out there. I was still flaming mad and with all the comotion my labs had came to the turkey pen to see what all the comotion was about. It was about this time that Buddy had left the pen right in front of Drake, our 1 year old Chocolate lab. Drake, who loves to chase the turkeys when given a chance, is very birdy. I gave him a little sickem Drake and the chase began. Buddy was doing his best Carl Lewis impression and Drake was on him like white on rice. I didn't want Drake to maul him or pull any feathers out so I backed him off after a little bit but Buddy was still frazzled. I finally got Buddy back in the pen and so bringing to the end our first battle of the Pecking Order, bringing it back to where it needs to be. I rule my house, just don't tell my wife.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

drenalinld

Great story Joe. If you can't run the show in the house at least you can rule the turkey roost. :lol:

I wish you had it on video.

gophert

Quote from: drenalinld on August 31, 2011, 10:43:18 AM
I wish you had it on video.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  Of all the great videos you show, you didn't video the one we would want to watch the most.   :wave:

Good read none the less!   :happy0064:

redarrow

TRKYHTR    AKA  TRKYTHUMPER  .I would have paid to see that. :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

savduck

Man, that is funny Joe.

All your great videos of turkey action and you missed getting this on tape.

Thats a move right out of Chuck Norris training Manual

Chapter 3 "Alpha Wolf, Give em a round house when they challenge thy authority"

Georgia Boy

Basser69

Thanks for sharing that one!  :TooFunny:

vaturkey

Good story Joe !!

I think I would be eating Buddy Pot Pie for supper !!   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

mossy835

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: When I stop laughing I will comment!!  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

stinkpickle

It's a good thing you don't raise kangaroos. 

Ol'Mossy

Nice story and quite funny I might add  :TooFunny:

timbrhuntr

That's too funny. I guess he didn't realize you had such a big set of .........HOOKS!

sugarray

That is the best tale I have heard for a long time.  Well, at least you rule the roost.

Did he get you with a spur or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRKYHTR

Quote from: sugarray on August 31, 2011, 10:21:19 PM
That is the best tale I have heard for a long time.  Well, at least you rule the roost.

Did he get you with a spur or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He flogged me with his wing and tried to kick me with his feet. I had to do a little more establishing dominance tonight. It didn't take much pursuading to get him to back up. I just faked a roundhouse and he jumped back. lol

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

870BkWht

Joe, did either one of you bring blood?