Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My father's book got published on Amazon Monday!

Started by TheTwistedOne, August 25, 2011, 03:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTwistedOne

Kinda proud of the old guy!

I get my sense of humor from my Dad.  A lot of you will enjoy it!

Here's a short description and a link to the book on Amazon.

This is an account of the effects on an ordinary German boy of the horrors of Adolf Hitler's dictatorship—the persecution of Jews, concentration camps, and the organized disappearance of mentally and physically disabled human beings. Efforts of a devoted mother to protect him from the influences of Nazi ideology are hampered by the leanings of some members of their extended family and the involuntary participation of the boy's father in the Nazi army. She teaches her son to be secretive, relying on him to warn her about possible detection as she tunes the radio to the forbidden BBC in an effort to obtain accurate information about the war. They escape the bombings of Cologne only to face grave dangers from slave laborers sent from the Gross-Rosen concentration camp to the dairy where the mother works. Following their escape to the home of a hostile family member, they welcome the arrival of American soldiers, their liberators. This is a turning point for the brave boy who becomes the head of the family. Scarcity of food during the post-war years and the absence of his father force the boy to connive and steal to stave off their hunger. Following a serious illness during adolescence that teaches him to study and think analytically, his thirst for knowledge lifts him well beyond his humble beginnings. The author uses dialogue and humor to paint his story against the backdrop of history.

Boy with a White Flag

mossy835

With some schools and fools trying to make our youth believe this never happened I say kudos to your father for writing the book. I grew up on our farm and we had a German friend that helped me train horses that was there and fled in a banana boat for this country to stay alive. It happened, it was real and should not be forgotten.

The Cohutta Strutter

Anybody seen America lately?

TheTwistedOne

Quote from: mossy835 on August 26, 2011, 10:55:52 AM
With some schools and fools trying to make our youth believe this never happened I say kudos to your father for writing the book. I grew up on our farm and we had a German friend that helped me train horses that was there and fled in a banana boat for this country to stay alive. It happened, it was real and should not be forgotten.

Thanks, I agree.

An often forgotten element of the Nazi regime is it's treatment of the disabled.  My father's book addresses that.

pappy

I say pure adrenaline !  I congratulate your father on his story and success and wish the "system" would leave it's nose out of the true historical facts that forged not only this country but the lives of people, like your father and so many others, who have survived and persevered such outrageous and demeaning circumstances that changed their lives forever! 
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Turkey Trot

Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

CSAW