OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thinking of buying a Compound Bow

Started by briancady, August 23, 2011, 08:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briancady

I havn't bow hunted since 1998 and am anxious to try it again.  I am looking for some info on what you all shoot.   I am kind of leaning toward a PSE Dream Season EVO bow.  Mainly because I can get a great deal on one.  But I am open for suggestions.

TRKYHTR

Depends on what type of hunting you are going to do. If you are going to hunt out of a tree stand with a max of 30 yard shots most of the bows will can make those shots. If you are going to be hunting from the ground where you might need to shoot at 50 or 60 yards you should probably look into some of the higher end bows. I would go to a local bow shop and shoot a few different bows and see which one you like the best. Then make your decision. If you can shoot that bow and get a good deal on it that might be the way to go.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

OLE RASPY

Quote from: TRKYHTR on August 23, 2011, 09:00:16 PM
Depends on what type of hunting you are going to do. If you are going to hunt out of a tree stand with a max of 30 yard shots most of the bows will can make those shots. If you are going to be hunting from the ground where you might need to shoot at 50 or 60 yards you should probably look into some of the higher end bows. I would go to a local bow shop and shoot a few different bows and see which one you like the best. Then make your decision. If you can shoot that bow and get a good deal on it that might be the way to go.

TRKYHTR
What he said.  There are so many good bows out there.

redarrow

I think the PSE would be a great bow. I shoot a Parker myself. Also check out the Matthews line.

njdevilsb

I agree with the above.  That said, I love my Diamond.  I got The Rock 2 years ago and it's just a great bow to shoot and it didn't break the bank.

There are so many great bows out there, it's hard to say which one you may like best.

WyoHunter

I'm a Mathews shooter but I'd try as many as you can before buying one. Buy the one that you feel comfortable with.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

woodchip

I'd shoot several, and if you plan on hunting out of a blind alot get something with a short axle to axle length.  I bought the Hoyt Maxxis 31 when they first came out, it's a great bow, fast, unbelievably quiet, and like they're advertising says "dead in the hand"  it really is.

Kylongspur88

Go to a bow shop where they know what they are doing and shoot a lot of bows. Buy the one that feels the best to you. I have shot PSE and they are nice bows. I shoot a Parker. It was the one that fit me the best.

fallhnt

A pro sho will also make sure your draw length is correct.No bow is a good deal if it dosn't fit you.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Cove

Bow's are much like cell phones and have come a long way in a very short period of time. Most manufacturers are putting out very good bows. Mathews, Bowtech, PSE, Hoyt, Elite, etc etc. . . . these conversations are much like a Ford/ Chevy/ Dodge debate, everyone has a preference. The best thing is to look at what is in your price range and go put them in your hands. Any reputable dealer will have several for you to shoot. Axle to axle lengths, brace heights, smooth draw, all of these will influence your decision and you can't know without shooting them.

I shot Mathews for 10 years until this past year when I switched to a Bowtech Destroyer- it took alot, but in my opinion Bowtech finally got it right and I see myself shooting this bow for at least a couple more years.  :you_rock:

lightsoutcalls

Good advice about trying a number of bows and narrowing down what works best for you.  Where I live that is tough to do.  There are only a handful of brands available to shoot and even fewer competent pro-shop folks to help you out.  They're often glad to point you to the most expensive thing seen in all of the glossy ads in hunting magazines, while there are so many good choices that may suit your personal needs better. 
   I noticed a Sims Deadzone bow hanging in the back of a local store.  I shot it a few times and loved how it felt, but didn't have the money at the time to buy it.  I stuck with my old Buckmasters G2 for the season.  The next season (last year) I found an ad in the classifieds on Archery Talk for a Sims Speedzone (previous year's model) at an incredible price.  I ended up making a deal and trading calls for the bow (retail sticker of $799 on the bow when it arrived).  I love the speed and feel of the bow.  It isn't the most attractive limb design, but it will fling an arrow down range, as my grandpa used to say "like nobody's business".  ;)

Hope you find one that works well for you!
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

briancady

all good advice.  I  have been to the local store and shot several bows that they had, and as one said they tend to steer you toward the High Dollar bows, as they are paid commision.  I went to another store Just a ma and pop type store and shot one of these PSE's dream season evo.  The other big store didn't even offer this bow in there PSE lineup.  I liked how it shot but still had a hefty price tag on it @ $829 and that was just for the bow.  The accessories were extra.  So I called my Brother in law down in Louisiana who has a buddy that deals in bows.  He has a brand new dream season evo bow completly outfitted and ready to shoot. He said if I wanted it he would sell it to me for $400.  He had ordered it for someone and they never came and got it.  He said his loss my gain.  Seems like a no brainer to me.  But was looking for some other input or if anyone has had issues with this particular model.

kamski1151

Brian ...Don't know about that exact model your talking about. But before I gave up hunting with a bow, PSE was all I would shoot. IMO one of the best bows out there.Sound like a great deal on the complete package for 400.00. I would be all over that.Good luck!!!

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

stinkpickle

I'm thinking about getting back into it myself.  I'm not even sure what I want in a new bow, so I just might buy one and use it to compile a fresh list of "pizz me offs" to look out for on my next one.  ;)

Kywoodsman

I personally shoot a Hoyt Alpha Max 32 and love it. I also used to have a Parker that was a great bow and didn't break the bank either. But as others have said shoot as many different bows as you can to find out what you like best.